Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/02 11:13:13 UTC

Need for servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0

Hi,

What parts of Sling require servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0 over
servlet-api 2.3 and jsp 1.2? How strict are these requirements?
Basically, how hard it would be to make run Sling on a 2.3 servlet
container?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Need for servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What parts of Sling require servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0 over
> servlet-api 2.3 and jsp 1.2? How strict are these requirements?
> Basically, how hard it would be to make run Sling on a 2.3 servlet
> container?

It seems that apart from the jsp issue, sling only uses the
setCharacterEncoding() method of 2.4; this can be changed easily.

Now for the jsp issue, I think we should try to support jsp 2.0. But
perhaps we are safe here as well as the whole jsp engine runs in its own
bundle and does not use the servlet api of the servlet engine. As long
as there are now problems between the bridging from sling to the jsp
engine this should work in 2.3 as well while still support jsp 2.0.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Need for servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.01.2008, 12:13 +0200 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> What parts of Sling require servlet-api 2.4 and jsp 2.0 over
> servlet-api 2.3 and jsp 1.2? How strict are these requirements?
> Basically, how hard it would be to make run Sling on a 2.3 servlet
> container?

As Carsten pointed out the version of JSP support is more or less
irrelevant to the discussion of requiring Servlet API 2.3 vs. 2.4. In
fact the current JSP support being based on Jasper 6 even is JSP 2.1
which by definition would even require Servlet API 2.5.

Back to the Servlet API 2.3 vs. 2.4 question: It is not just the
setCharacterEncoding method, it is also some getter methods on the
HttpServletResponse added in 2.4 we are using.

Regards
Felix