Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/20 20:38:29 UTC

dynamic configuration loading

>From Stack on HBASE-3866:

Seeing it makes me want to work on making Configuration settable in a live
server, sort of like the log level servlet so that we can set
hbase.balancer.max.regions.periteration one way for one minute and then come
along later and change it.

Currently master classes receive Configuration upon construction.
I think we should enable dynamic loading of Configuration at runtime. This
would be very helpful for developers and users. I think with this feature,
master would be more robust.

Please comment.

Re: dynamic configuration loading

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On the jira, there was a -1 to this idea by Todd followed quickly by another by Ted. I don't have a strong feeling to mount a defense of the idea, so let's forget it.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> You should check out HADOOP-7001 - it would be nice if we followed a
> similar pattern in HBase.

Agree.  I made hbase-3909.
St.Ack

Re: dynamic configuration loading