Posted to general@xml.apache.org by "Chen, PeterX" <pe...@intel.com> on 2000/01/12 00:34:55 UTC

XML/Database Applications . . .

I would like to know if the XML community at large is interested in using an
application that works with XML and relational databases.  Specifically,
such an application would load an XML file into an existing table and be
able to map the data back out from the table into an appropriate XML file.

If there is an interest in the XML community for such an application, are
you expecting such an application to be developed by database vendors as a
feature in their database, or are you expecting such an application to be
developed by third party vendors as a standalone application that works with
existing relational databases?  I would appreciate any and all responses.
Thanks you.

Peter

Re: XML/Database Applications . . .

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>.
Check out Castor at http://castor.exolab.org.

It provides mapping between Java objects and SQL, and Java objects and
XML, works both way and supports RDBMS relations. Java to LDAP is also
coming in the next release.

We've been using it to grab an object from the database (a three-table
relation into a three-object graph) produce XML and pipe the result into
Xalan to produce an HTML page. Works like a charm, eliminates lots of
code redundancy.

arkin

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
PeterX,

	IBM has such a thing, called "DB2 XML Extender", that maps XML either
to a single CLOB, or it can split and recombine the XML into multiple
database cells.

	I'm sure that Oracle must have a similar thing.

	You might want to contact those companies directly, for information on
those XML products.  To my knowledge, there's no open source database
thing that does this.

Mike

Posted by Ismael Ghalimi <gh...@exoffice.com>.
Hi,

I am not sure it would help, but I suggest you take a look at Castor:

http://castor.exolab.org/

Best regards

ig.

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gu...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>.