Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Paul Walker <wa...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/14 07:33:40 UTC

GHOP issue 2: Design two related logos for the sling project

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=2&colspec=ID%20Status%20Owner%20ClaimedBy%20Summary

> The Sling project (http://incubator.apache.org/sling) needs two
> related logos, one for Sling itself and one for microsling, which is
> a simplified version of the same software.
The following are my first proposals for a new logo for the project.
These are just drafts, and any comments & suggestions are welcome. http://bitliquid.com/private/sling.jpg
  (my personal favourite is the bottom set)
One specific question I'd like to know about is your thoughts on using
a stylised Apache feather, as i have on the top & bottom logos.
They're used on a couple of other Project logos but I've heard that
there was an issue with it for the jackrabbit project. the bottom logo
can easily use the normal feather (http://bitliquid.com/private/normal_feather.jpg
) but it's not quite so clean - the top logo kind of relies upon the
stylised feather (the third logo doesn't have a feather at all ATM -
if it is preferred, I'll work one into it)

Re: GHOP issue 2: Design two related logos for the sling project

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

As Bertrand, I like the enhanced original logo (the second) the best.
Also the integration of the µ looks good to me (though I would rotate
counter-clockwise instead of clockwise, probably). In addition, I think
we should go with a single color, either the left one (my favorite) or
the right one. The differentiator between Sling and µsling is just the
µ.

>>From your original proposal I also liked the third one with
"backslashed-zero" left of the name. Refining this one by making it seem
less "bulky" - maybe with a contrasting border, see the Apache Felix
Logo [1] - and "underlyning" the whole thing with the Apache feather
would be interesting.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://felix.apache.org/site/media.data/logo.png

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 18.01.2008, 09:41 +0100 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Jan 18, 2008 9:15 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > ...Please upload them to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-174...
>
> The logos have been uploaded, thanks!
>
> I'll wait 24 hours before marking the GHOP issue as completed, in case
> other Sling community members want to comment on Paul's final logos.

Great. I like those logos.

> Paul's been moving fast

That is very true and good !

>  and we have not really taken into account
> Paddy's comment saying "I like the third treatment with the sling pill
> thingy next to it".

I also kind of like the "sling pill thingy" for two reasons: I may
easily be used as a favicon and it may be used "inline" with text
(probably). But then, I am perfectly ok with what exists now and agree
to on deciding whether we take it or not.

Thanks also to Betrand to providing guidance for this.

Regards
Felix

Re: GHOP issue 2: Design two related logos for the sling project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Jan 18, 2008 9:15 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...Please upload them to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-174...

The logos have been uploaded, thanks!

I'll wait 24 hours before marking the GHOP issue as completed, in case
other Sling community members want to comment on Paul's final logos.

Paul's been moving fast and we have not really taken into account
Paddy's comment saying "I like the third treatment with the sling pill
thingy next to it". Note that we could create another GHOP issue (if
we act quickly: students can only start working on GHOP issues until
the 22nd) if we want to have another finished logo to have more
choice. Me, I'm perfectly happy with the
http://bitliquid.com/private/sling/Final/ logos.

-Bertrand

Re: GHOP issue 2: Design two related logos for the sling project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Thanks - it's http://bitliquid.com/private/sling/Final/ with a capital F.

> ...where should I upload these?...

Please upload them to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-174,
see my comments there.

Many thanks for your work!

-Bertrand

Re: GHOP issue 2: Design two related logos for the sling project

Posted by Paul Walker <wa...@gmail.com>.
Here's what I think are the final logos. http://bitliquid.com/private/sling/final/
  (It's pretty much the same as the previous proposal, but with some
additional variations, for B&W and for a favicon) - Are there any
remaining issues? Otherwise,where should I upload these?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Walker <wa...@gmail.com>.
http://bitliquid.com/private/sling/Proposal-2-1.jpg
http://bitliquid.com/private/sling/Proposal-2-1.svg

Since, as of now, it seems that the preferred logo is the one based
upon the current one, so I worked on vectorising & improving it. As
suggested, I've switched both of the logos to the blue colour, & have
subsequently switched the colour of the µ to a red colour matching the
Apache feather. I also un-rounded the two corners, I think it gives
the logo a little more personality, and makes it a little less
'generic web 2.0'.

The variant on the bottom was made to address Bertrand Delacretaz's
concern about the S blending into the top Border. I prefer the other
version, but it's not all up to me… what does everyone else think
about this pair of logos?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Walker <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Padraic Hannon <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.
I don't feel I have the graphics expertise to comment, although, I
cannot help myself from doing so ;-).  For reasons that I cannot
rightly explain, except to say simplicity perhaps, I like the third
treatment with the sling pill thingy next to it. The Green box ones
are cool, sort of like one of those long skinny rubicks things that
where popular in the 80s.

-paddy

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,