Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/24 03:31:42 UTC

[compress] Update to Java 7?

Hi,

I was looking at some compress code that I wanted to update to
switch-on-string but realized the code is still on Java 6.

OK to bump to Java 7?

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 24/06/2016 � 05:31, Gary Gregory a �crit :

> OK to bump to Java 7?

I'd rather bump to Java 7 if you intend to leverage the Java 7 APIs, and
no just benefiting from the minor syntax changes.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1!

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I updated the POM to Java 7 in Git master.

Gary

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 June 2016 at 14:14, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2016-06-24, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I was looking at some compress code that I wanted to update to
>> switch-on-string but realized the code is still on Java 6.
>
> "still" means 1.12 has been the first release to require Java 6 - 1.11
> was at Java 5 :-)
>
>> OK to bump to Java 7?
>
> If it is useful for us, yes.
>
> try-with-resources is nice but wouldn't convince me. SeekableByteChannel
> to make ZipFile and SevenZFile usable for non-Files would.

+1

Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.