Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de> on 2003/08/28 11:32:29 UTC

Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

One of the major implementaiton complaints I have about Cocoon is its lack
of Log4J logging functionality. Log4j, is without a doubt the best logging
package for java. No other package can even hope to compare to it. If Cocoon
was built to use Log4j instead of the avalon logging mechanism, it would
gain an enormous amount of functionality that it lacks now.

Personally, when working in a production environment, I dont want my log
files to be put into direcroies in my web app. Id rather have them forwarded
to a central log accumulation server or even sent out via JMS. Log4j allows
this and many more configurations. Furthermore, it allows you to turn on and
off logging on individual components with ease. Finally, Log4J is used in so
many other products that it is a recognized standard logging mechanism that
many organizations and even network engineers are quite familiar with.

Therefore, I think Cocoon should migrate to Log4j. In order to contemplate
this, its important that we discuss the complexities of it in the following
quesitons.

1) Why has this not already been done? Is it a question of a lack of
manpower or expertise? If so then I as well as others would most likely be
happy to volunteer time to accomplish it.

2) How difficult is it to rip out the avalon logging from the cocoon core
components? Im no avalon expert so I couldnt answer this myself.

3) Is there standard expressions that can be used for locatting logging
lines in cocoon?

4) Do we upgrade some of the blocks or leave them as is and only upgrade
core cocoon?

I would be interested in comments and opinions.

-- Robert

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
IIRC from the ever and ever happening discussion about the best
logging toolkit is that Log4j breaks inversion of control (IOC):

class A
{
  static Category cat =
      Category.getInstance(A.class.getName());
}

class B
{
  static Category cat =
      Category.getInstance("A");
}

You see what I mean! Log4J is based on conventions for the logging
category which each class defines by itself whereas Logkit is based of
IOC and a class dosn't define it's own logger. This for me makes logkit
much more secure for server side applications.

Also, you should take a look into the org.apache.log.output package to
see that logkit supports all you'd like your output to be sent to.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Pati

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Robert Simmons wrote:

> One of the major implementaiton complaints I have about Cocoon is its lack
> of Log4J logging functionality. Log4j, is without a doubt the best logging
> package for java. No other package can even hope to compare to it. If Cocoon
> was built to use Log4j instead of the avalon logging mechanism, it would
> gain an enormous amount of functionality that it lacks now.

It is doable with Fortress, Merlin, or Phoenix.  Phoenix is not designed for
Cocoon like applications, so your choise is Fortress and Merlin.  There is
already support for it.

> Personally, when working in a production environment, I dont want my log
> files to be put into direcroies in my web app. Id rather have them forwarded
> to a central log accumulation server or even sent out via JMS. Log4j allows
> this and many more configurations. Furthermore, it allows you to turn on and
> off logging on individual components with ease. Finally, Log4J is used in so
> many other products that it is a recognized standard logging mechanism that
> many organizations and even network engineers are quite familiar with.

Still doable with LogKit.

As to turning logging on and off to individual components:

It is assuming that you have a class name == component name relationship.  That
is not really helpful in a situation where we have many instances of the same
class.  LogKit can turn on and off individual *categories* which is what Log4J
does.  Both provide this ability.

> Therefore, I think Cocoon should migrate to Log4j. In order to contemplate
> this, its important that we discuss the complexities of it in the following
> quesitons.
>
> 1) Why has this not already been done? Is it a question of a lack of
> manpower or expertise? If so then I as well as others would most likely be
> happy to volunteer time to accomplish it.

Avalon has a logger wrapping system.  All that needs to be done is rip out
the LogKit backed loggers and place in the Log4J ones.  That is assuming
that all logging components are using LogEnabled as opposed to Loggable.

> 2) How difficult is it to rip out the avalon logging from the cocoon core
> components? Im no avalon expert so I couldnt answer this myself.

Not hard at all.  The main thing I would advise against is using the static
accessors.  The components are assigned the categories from the container,
and I would prefer to keep it that way.

> 3) Is there standard expressions that can be used for locatting logging
> lines in cocoon?

Not sure.  No need for it though.

> 4) Do we upgrade some of the blocks or leave them as is and only upgrade
> core cocoon?

You only need to upgrade the core cocoon.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Robert Simmons wrote:
> One of the major implementaiton complaints I have about Cocoon is its lack
> of Log4J logging functionality. Log4j, is without a doubt the best logging
> package for java. No other package can even hope to compare to it. If Cocoon
> was built to use Log4j instead of the avalon logging mechanism, it would
> gain an enormous amount of functionality that it lacks now.

Log4J is already integrated into avalon logkit. I'm not a logkit expert,
but I guess it would require very little (if any) work to have Cocoon
logging to Log4J targets. Is the opposite true? :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.
To be honest, the condescending attitude you display here doesnt help me
feel warm and fuzzy all over. I can take criticism. Can you? But then I
think I will drop this convewrsation as it likely doesnt belong in this
list.

-- Robert

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino said:
> Rant apart, you might have a point in blaming Cocoon of not being
> "business friendly", and I'm starting to consider that there might
> be  room for someone to come up and be Cocoon's RedHat, providing
> "production" builds and "certified" WARs, thus relieving the
> Cocoon  community in these issues. Any Orixians listening? ;-))

YES, I couldn't agree more, and Forrest has kind of shown the way
(although it could be a lot better).

I foresee a future, where the Cocooners will be at the bedrock of
the framework, and most people today using Cocoon will be using one
out of a few Cocoon-based App Servers, each targetting different
production environments, publishing, CMS, Wiki, eCommerce, process
control and so on.

Niclas

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote, On 28/08/2003 13.19:
> Rant apart, you might have a point in blaming Cocoon of not being
> "business friendly", and I'm starting to consider that there might be
> room for someone to come up and be Cocoon's RedHat, providing
> "production" builds and "certified" WARs, thus relieving the Cocoon
> community in these issues.

Use Forrest, a prepackaged and starter-friendly Cocoon. :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Robert Simmons wrote:
>
> > I wasnt accusing anyone of being childish. I wish you wouldnt put words in
> > my mouth. I merely meant that the demands of a business environment are
> > quite different then the demands of non-business environments.
>
> Please rest assured that many (probably most) of us know what the
> demands of business environments are.
>
> > Many open
> > source projects have yet to bridge this gulf and only a few have done it
> > sucessfully (apache web server, ant, log4j, tomcat, jboss). For example, the
> > decision to NOT distribute a binary build of cocoon is a good example of
> > going in the opposite direction of business. Many business consultants are
> > not interested in building source, but rather using the product as is.
>
> Oh, gosh... will not distributing a binary build be enough for us not to
> "cross the bridge"? Let's have a party on this side of the river with
> Linus then. Oh, and please tell me where you are going to find Gnome or
> KDE binary distributions (RPM, DEB and other linux distro packages don't
> count). And tell the FreeBSD guys that their port system is doomed.
>
> Anyway, here is your binary distribution:
>
> $ cat > setup.sh
> ./build.sh war > install.log 2>&1
> if [ $? == 0 ]
> then
>    echo "Installation successful, Cocoon war installed in
> `pwd`/build/cocoon.war"
> else
>    echo "Installation failed, plese check install.log for details"
> fi
> ^D
>
> Rant apart, you might have a point in blaming Cocoon of not being
> "business friendly", and I'm starting to consider that there might be
> room for someone to come up and be Cocoon's RedHat, providing
> "production" builds and "certified" WARs, thus relieving the Cocoon
> community in these issues. Any Orixians listening? ;-))

Thanks for taking the energy. I couldn't say it any better.

--
Giacomo Pati

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, Aug 28, 2003, at 13:19 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino
wrote:

> Rant apart, you might have a point in blaming Cocoon of not being
> "business friendly", and I'm starting to consider that there might be
> room for someone to come up and be Cocoon's RedHat, providing
> "production" builds and "certified" WARs, thus relieving the Cocoon
> community in these issues. Any Orixians listening? ;-))

I hope they are not, because such an effort would be wiped away by the
block system in Cocoon 2.2 ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Robert Simmons wrote:

<snip/>

>> Many open
>> source projects have yet to bridge this gulf and only a few have done it
>> sucessfully (apache web server, ant, log4j, tomcat, jboss). For
>> example, the
>> decision to NOT distribute a binary build of cocoon is a good example of
>> going in the opposite direction of business. Many business
>> consultants are
>> not interested in building source, but rather using the product as is.
>

> Oh, gosh... will not distributing a binary build be enough for us not
> to "cross the bridge"? Let's have a party on this side of the river
> with Linus then. Oh, and please tell me where you are going to find
> Gnome or KDE binary distributions (RPM, DEB and other linux distro
> packages don't count). And tell the FreeBSD guys that their port
> system is doomed.

Gianugo, I'm outraged! How could you forget to mention Gentoo???!!!
LOL

Vadim

RE: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> So, I am sure Carsten & Co, can provide some easier way to configure
> this, than present day, and perhaps it should be the default
> configuration to use Log4J as the backend.

As I said in my first reply in this thread, the code is in avalon already,
using it in Cocoon should be only some lines + testing.
If someone wants to do the work, I can give more pointers.

Carsten

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Robert,
putting aside the attitude discussion for a while and go back to the
facts on the table;

You would like to use Log4J in the production environment.
GOOD!

You want to re-write Cocoon to explicitly do the Log4J "lookup" of
the Logger through the Logger static method.
NOT SO GOOD, in my humble opinion.

I have been convinced about the advantage of Inversion of Control
that Avalon is strongly promoting. Provide the logger to the
component is much more flexible, and some say more secure (of which
I can't tell.)

The Avalon approach, allows that a very slim Logger layer can be
mapped on top of basically any logger backend, and the Avalon
community provides a few, although I am not sure if it is fully
supported in the older ECM (agree ancient Avalon container), but I
think it is.

So, I am sure Carsten & Co, can provide some easier way to configure
this, than present day, and perhaps it should be the default
configuration to use Log4J as the backend.
The performance hit, using the extra layer, would be far less than
it takes Log4J to do something about the message, and if the Cocoon
code properly use, logger.isXXXEnabled(), the main culprit of
logging (debug statements being constructed) performance degrade is
eliminated.

Isn't this what you are REALLY asking for?

Instead of; "Let's throw all that out, and re-implement against a
package, that we can't easily change in the future".

Trying to be constructive.
Niclas

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.
I wasnt accusing anyone of being childish. I wish you wouldnt put words in
my mouth. I merely meant that the demands of a business environment are
quite different then the demands of non-business environments. Many open
source projects have yet to bridge this gulf and only a few have done it
sucessfully (apache web server, ant, log4j, tomcat, jboss). For example, the
decision to NOT distribute a binary build of cocoon is a good example of
going in the opposite direction of business. Many business consultants are
not interested in building source, but rather using the product as is.

I wasnt insulting anyone and i appologize if it sounded like that. However,
we have to recognize that Cocoon, although great,  has some shortfalls when
it comes to business applications.

-- Robert

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Lets make a deal and avoid both stubborness and aggressive attitude
> then. I would suggest you to discuss the Log4J vs. Logkit implementation
> issues on the proper lists and come back here with more evidence. You
> might even convince the Avalon guys to switch to Logkit...

For what its worth, Avalon is working with the Log4J folks.  The new
containers (ECM is old and outdated) there is no die-hard need to use
LogKit.  There also is no die-hard need to tie ourselves to Log4J.  Some
people might want to use (gasp, cough, choke) JDK 1.4 logging.  It's still
possibile with Avalon.

Say what you will, we are ahead of you on this matter.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Robert Simmons wrote:

> Actually, I was proposign the removal of the avalon logging mechanism
> completely.

I would still be -1 on this because of the reasons mentioned in my
earlier mail.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Pati

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Boon Hian Tek <bt...@pdxbtek.dyndns.org>.
Hi all,

Per-Olof Noren wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>"Should Cocoon be configured out-of-the-box for logging to a Log4J
>>backend?"
>

> I'd put my two cents worth of opinion in favor of this suggestion.
>
> Regards,
> Pelle

If it is as easy as one line in the configuration file change,
does it matter? Configuring cocoon involves configuring "sitemap.xml"s,
block.properties, cocoon.xconf already. People who can
get (or need to) setup cocoon should be able to tweak with the
configuration files to make log4j the logger.

my 1/2 cent: Let's make sure it is configurable, and note it
somewhere how to do it.

--
Boon Tek

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Per-Olof Noren <pe...@alma.nu>.
Hi,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Berin Loritsch said:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> Well, Robert's assertion is ambigious. Does he say;
>>
>> Drop
>>    void enableLogging( Logger logger );
>>
>> and let every component do,
>>
>>   logger = Logger.getLogger( this.getClass().getLogger() );
>>
>> OR,
>>
>> "Let Log4J be the default logger backend, and have the Log4J
>> configuration handily available."
>>

>> I think Berin is -1 on the first, but more receptible to the
>> latter.
>
> I am very -1 for the first.
> I am pretty +1 for the latter.

Then the question to the community would be;

"Should Cocoon be configured out-of-the-box for logging to a Log4J
backend?"

I am in strong favour of this too, although I have no official say
in it...

Niclas

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, Aug 28, 2003, at 15:47 Europe/Rome, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi said:
>> Berin, I think that Robert has a valid point here, and that is
>> similar  to what Avalon said about Logkit and Log4j.
>>
>> When I was still in Avalon, Avalon had informally agreed to push
>> Logkit  EOL in favor of log4j, and the log4j community accepted
>> the challenge of  bridging the last differences still remaining.
>>
>> Why is this point much different from the one Robert is talking
>> about?
>
> Well, Robert's assertion is ambigious. Does he say;
>
> Drop
>    void enableLogging( Logger logger );
>
> and let every component do,
>
>   logger = Logger.getLogger( this.getClass().getLogger() );
>
> OR,
>
> "Let Log4J be the default logger backend, and have the Log4J
> configuration handily available."
>

> I think Berin is -1 on the first, but more receptible to the latter.

I *strongly* dislike the use of static methods for multi-context
environments.

If I have two instances of cocoon running in the same servlet
container, which Log4j configurations will handle them? what if the log
of one servlet ends up being in the log of another one?

Huge security issue here.

--
Stefano.

Re: Porting Cocoon Logging to Log4j - Proposal and Discussion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 28/08/2003 15.08:
>
>> Robert Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I was proposign the removal of the avalon logging mechanism
>>> completely.
>>

>> -1000
>>
>> If I want to use a NullLogger (no logging completely, and no need for
>> a logging
>> toolkit) then I should be able to.  If I want to use Log4J I should be
>> able to.
>> And if I am happy with LogKit (which is smaller BTW), then why should
>> I loose
>> that ability?
>

> Berin, I think that Robert has a valid point here, and that is similar
> to what Avalon said about Logkit and Log4j.
>
> When I was still in Avalon, Avalon had informally agreed to push Logkit
> EOL in favor of log4j, and the log4j community accepted the challenge of
> bridging the last differences still remaining.
>
> Why is this point much different from the one Robert is talking about?

I would be very much against marrying the Cocoon system to Log4J despite
it's advantages over LogKit.  Let's assume for the moment that JDK 1.4
logging becomes mainstream over Log4J (not likely, but play devil's advocate
for a moment).  If you have forceably ripped out the LogEnabled interfaces
and hardcoded against Log4J, the migration path would be very painful to
say the least.

Also, to make matters worse, not everyone has the same needs.  Some shops
will blindly use corporate products or language APIs regardless of their
merit.  Other shops evaluate the available libraries.  If we have a very
lightweight logging abstraction that doesn't tie us down to one implementation,
we can easily make everyone happy.

Not everyone uses Log4J (as Robert asserts).  I would be against coding
ourselves into a corner when there are legitimate ways to avoid the situation
_already_ in place.

Yes, informally the Avalon team will be deprecating LogKit in favor of Log4J 2.0
but it isn't out yet.  Plans can change (although this seems to be a pretty
safe bet).

Lastly, the NullLogger included in Avalon Framework is orders of magnitude
faster than any of the full Logging toolkits like LogKit, Log4J, and
java.util.logging.  If you don't need/want logging (extreme example), why
force it?

I can understand going backwards a short distance if the alternate route
let's us go farther.  However, the proposal seems to take a good route and
trade it for a dead end.  I am not for that.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Simmons <ro...@norcom.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.