Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/06 09:37:52 UTC

Surefire and JUnit Categories - groups in reactor

Hi,
I would lke to use the categories facility with JUnit 4.12 in a reactor
project, I am finding some issue, but they seem to me so basic that maybe
it is only a lack of documentation or that we can provide some minor fix in
order to make life easier:

1) In a reactor a would like to run mvn test
-Dgroups=magnews.testgroups.MinimumAcceptance  but surefire crashes if the
class is not reachable in some module

org.apache.maven.surefire.util.SurefireReflectionException:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException; nested exception is
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
    at
    at
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to load category:
magnews.testgroups.MinimumAcceptance
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.group.match.SingleGroupMatcher.loadGroupClasses(SingleGroupMatcher.java:134)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.common.junit48.FilterFactory.createGroupFilter(FilterFactory.java:92)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junitcore.JUnitCoreProvider.createJUnit48Filter(JUnitCoreProvider.java:183)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junitcore.JUnitCoreProvider.invoke(JUnitCoreProvider.java:115)
    ... 9 more
magnews.testgroups.MinimumAcceptance
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:331)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.group.match.SingleGroupMatcher.loadGroupClasses(SingleGroupMatcher.java:130)
    ... 12 more

Second problem:
if in the reactor there is a module which does not have at least one test
marked with the category the build fails and there is no way to override
this behaviour event with -DfailIfNoTests=false
-Durefire.failIfNoSpecifiedTests=false

java.lang.Exception: No tests found matching
*magnews.testgroups.MinimumAcceptance from
org.junit.runner.Request$1@1c6b6478
    at
org.junit.internal.requests.FilterRequest.getRunner(FilterRequest.java:35)
    at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:138)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junitcore.JUnitCoreWrapper.execute(JUnitCoreWrapper.java:62)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junitcore.JUnitCoreProvider.invoke(JUnitCoreProvider.java:139)
    at
    at
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:189)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:165)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:85)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:115)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:75)

Ideas ?
Should I file JIRAs ?
I will be happy to contribute patches if these are real problems.
I am running latest and greatest released surefire 2.20.1

Cheers
Enrico