Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com> on 2010/10/11 04:35:14 UTC

DisplaySpectralKMeans example gets pretty far through

  Hi Shannon,

I've committed a new display example that attempts to push the standard
mixture of models data set through spectral k-means. After some tweaking
of configuration arguments it gets remarkably far through, finally
failing on W.transpose() after the eigen cleanup. I can't imagine this
would all be pilot error so I wonder if you'd have a look at it to see
where its going south?

Re: DisplaySpectralKMeans example gets pretty far through

Posted by Derek O'Callaghan <de...@ucd.ie>.
FYI I moved the numEigensWritten initialisation before the for loop in
EigenVerificationJob.saveCleanEigens(), and it gets past the problem.
The Frame appears and it's working apart from being unable to render the
ellipses, I get the following exception:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
org.apache.mahout.math.CardinalityException: Required cardinality 5 but
got 2
     at org.apache.mahout.math.AbstractVector.times(AbstractVector.java:416)
     at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.display.DisplayClustering.plotEllipse(DisplayClustering.java:192)
     at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.display.DisplayClustering.plotClusters(DisplayClustering.java:124)
     at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.display.DisplaySpectralKMeans.paint(DisplaySpectralKMeans.java:79)

I imagine this is more likely to be a problem in the display code, I
might get a chance to look into it later...

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  Thanks Derek,

I agree with the maxEigensWritten initialization error and have
committed that patch. Now the Display routine itself is failing because
it expects a 2-d input point but is getting a 5-d point instead. This
may be related to MAHOUT-517.

Posted by Derek O'Callaghan <de...@ucd.ie>.
Hi Jeff, Shannon,

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  +user@

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  +1 Do the assignment first.  This isn't that critical. It's kind of
intriguing though, actually...

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  +user@

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
  If we can't resolve 524 in a day or so I would be happy to move it to
0.5. We can even revert the display method, though it did unearth some
configuration passing problems in EigenVerificationJob. My concern for
0.4 is that it also has unearthed another problem there since the
failure occurs right after that step, during transpose of the cleanedEigens.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.