Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Dmitry Hayes <dm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/12/15 20:53:19 UTC

LocalMsgIndex.hpp

Hi  Han Ming!
LocalMsgIndex.hpp is a part of the localization addition that still needs
some polishing .
But you should be able to build Xalan.

The file is missing , because it's supposed to be created in build time.
Please look at xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/Utils/Makefile.in, "INMEM" section :
for creation the file we use a MsgCreator application.
For running the application (or  for finding Xerces .so ) we use , for
example, LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the Linux platform.
There is no such environmental variable defined in the Mac section - it
should be added .

Thanks,
Dmitry

----- Forwarded by Dmitry Hayes/Toronto/IBM on 12/15/2003 02:14 PM -----

|         |           Han Ming Ong     |
|         |           <hanming@apple.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           12/15/2003 01:46 |
|         |           xalan-dev        |
  |       To:       xalan-dev@xml.apache.org                                                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [VOTE} Xalan 1.7 release plan                                                                            |

On Dec 11, 2003, at 9:14 AM, david_n_bertoni@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> It's time to start thinking about doing a Xalan-C release
> that is compatible with the latest Xerces-C 2.4 release.

... [snipped]
> If anyone else would like to volunteer their services, please let us
> know.  We need someone to try a MacOS build with the latest code in
> cvs and flush out any build/runtime problems as we don't have an
> environment ourselves to do this work.

While I'm doing some stuff on Xerces, I can try to help build Xalan as
well. As of today, I tried to upgrade the current Project Builder to
the new Mac OS X IDE Xcode. There is a problem: while compiling, Xcode
complains that it couldn't locate LocalMsgIndex.hpp which is referenced
in XalanMessageLoader.hpp.

I couldn't find LocalMsgIndex.hpp on the CVS file system as well. A
quick search on the current bug list reveals nothing about it.

Anyone?

thanks, Han Ming

**** Attachment smime.p7s has been removed from this note on December 15,
2003 by Dmitry Hayes ****

Re: LocalMsgIndex.hpp

Posted by Han Ming Ong <ha...@apple.com>.
As of Jan 7, based on the patch in CVS, I verified that I can build
regular Unix shared libraries on Mac OS X 10.3.2. The output is 2
shared libraries: libxalan and libxalanMsg. This is the good news.

The bad news is that I can't seem to retrofit the new localization
addition into the OS X IDE easily. This is because the IDE doesn't have
direct support for Makefile.in, which then generates the Makefile,
which then generates the required *.hpp files. There's also the
complication of building the MsgCreator first. If one spends enough
time on it, it can probably be done but at this point, I just can't
justify spending more efforts. I'm not sure how other IDEs are
successful in dealing with these extra steps...

Any way, I guess Mac OS X developers can deal with the .so instead.

Cheers, Han Ming

Re: LocalMsgIndex.hpp

Posted by Han Ming Ong <ha...@apple.com>.
On Dec 15, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Dmitry Hayes wrote:

> Hi  Han Ming!
> LocalMsgIndex.hpp is a part of the localization addition that still
> needs
> some polishing .
> But you should be able to build Xalan.
>
> The file is missing , because it's supposed to be created in build
> time.
> Please look at xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/Utils/Makefile.in, "INMEM"
> section :
> for creation the file we use a MsgCreator application.
> For running the application (or  for finding Xerces .so ) we use , for
> example, LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the Linux platform.
> There is no such environmental variable defined in the Mac section - it
> should be added .

Dimitry,

You know what, I just ran into this problem and was about to file a bug
:-)