Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by saj-khan <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/07 15:52:30 UTC

TOMCAT 64bit & 32BIT differences - URGENT

Hi All,

apologies if this question has been asked before.

I need to know the main differences between 64 & 32bit tomcat for windows.

Is the tomcat.exe and all associated files in the bin folder and lib folder
trully compiled 64bit
or is the installer solely 64bit for installing onto 64bit OS? and the
tomcat just uses which ever java you have installed to create its jvm?

i have been asked to change a set of servers from 32bit to 64bit for tomcat
and java
if it turns out that the java is the only thing i need ot change it will
save me tons of work
if the tomcat needs to be installed that nots a biggy as i can copy and
paste the tomcat folder into the place of the existing and put back the conf
and webapps folder so in theory this will allow me to work as if nothing
changed....

you answers on the 32-64bit is greatly appreciated!!

Saj.

Re: TOMCAT 64bit & 32BIT differences - URGENT

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/7 saj-khan <sa...@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> apologies if this question has been asked before.
>
> I need to know the main differences between 64 & 32bit tomcat for windows.
>
> Is the tomcat.exe and all associated files in the bin folder and lib folder
> trully compiled 64bit

If you compare content of *-windows-<arch>.zip files, you should note
that only two files differ between each of them:
  tomcat7.exe  - service runner
  tcnative-1.dll - Tomcat-Native (optional component, can be deleted)

They are loaded in the same process as JVM and thus have to use the
same CPU architecture.

Service configuration application (tomcat7w.exe) is 32-bit.
The rest of code is neutral to CPU architecture.

> or is the installer solely 64bit for installing onto 64bit OS? and the
> tomcat just uses which ever java you have installed to create its jvm?

On a 64-bit system you can install either 32-bit version or 64-bit one
 --  use the same as the version of Java that you installed.

Recent versions of Tomcat (more recent that ~6 months ago -- see
change log for details! ) have all three versions of (tomcat7.exe
tcnative-1.dll) packed within installer and will autoselect the one
that matches the JRE. You select the JRE during installation.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 08/07/2011 15:28, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> [...]

Wrong again. The Windows installer (at least recent versions anyway)
will install the correct native dlls (32-bit or 64-bit) based on the JVM
selected during installation.

Mark

Re: [OT] TOMCAT 64bit & 32BIT differences - URGENT

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Jeffrey,
>
> On 7/8/2011 10:28 AM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> I'll watch my wording next time.
>
> Don't worry too much about Mark's somewhat terse prose. He ends up
> answering a /lot/ of repeat questions on this list and correcting
> misinformation all the time.

Indeed. Because the lists are archived and folks search (well, should
search them) before asking questions I do tend to reply to inaccurate /
out-of-date info to correct it to save someone heading off in the wrong
direction.

> Until he starts saying things like "Jeffrey's answer, as usual, is utter
> rubbish and should be ignored", you're good to go :)

:) There are, fortunately, very few people that fall into that category.

> I personally am glad to see your continued involvement in this
> community, and I'm sure Mark would agree with me.

+1

Mark

Re: [OT] TOMCAT 64bit & 32BIT differences - URGENT

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: TOMCAT 64bit & 32BIT differences - URGENT

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Mark, you are correct. But I was addressing his desire to go to a full 64-bit implementation (at least as I read the OP).  And I was assuming he might be using the Windows installer for Tomcat, not unzipping.  That will set the machine up with only the 64-bit wrappers and native dll.  I really didn't mean to mislead.  I've run both the 32-bit & 64-bit environments on the same 64-bit Windows OS.  I'll watch my wording next time.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by saj-khan <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply! (thanks everyone else as well)

I know now that i need to replace the java from 32bit to 64bit to the same
location as
the 32bit c:\java and ensure my java_home environment variable is
JAVA_HOME=c:\java

for tomcat I am simply going to unzip the 64bit installer and copy out the
lib folder and its contents
and also the tomcat.exe as you mentioned, this should take care of the
issue.

both of the tomcat installations are setup as windows services, but this
shouldnt matter
seeing as the .exe that the services call on to start up is named the same
as the 32bit.

can you confirm if this is correct?

Saj.

for the apache tomcat,

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.
Saj-khan:

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.
 On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 06:52:30 -0700 (PDT), saj-khan wrote:

> i have been asked to change a set of servers from 32bit to 64bit for
> tomcat
> and java
> if it turns out that the java is the only thing i need ot change it
> will
> save me tons of work
> if the tomcat needs to be installed that nots a biggy as i can copy
> and
> paste the tomcat folder into the place of the existing and put back
> the conf
> and webapps folder so in theory this will allow me to work as if
> nothing
> changed....

 Java upgrade is mandatory.

 You do not need to change Tomcats. It's Java, the only thing you need
 to change is JVM itself. As long as you use .bat files to start Tomcat
 you don't need to worry.

 I'm not sure what about additional binaries (tomcat.exe, tomcatw.exe,
 etc), running tomcat as a system service.

--
 Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>