Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Chaitanya Bapat <ch...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/31 18:08:34 UTC

[CI] Proposal for automatic PR labeling

Hello MXNet community,

Banking on the success of mxnet-bot that has been triggering CI
successfully for the past 3 months, Sheng proposed an idea for automatic PR
labeling. I am working on the implementation of the same.

*What's the idea?*
An automated way of labeling PRs based on the status of CI.

*Why?*

This serves dual purpose

   - Automates the labeling [currently manual]
   - Allows contributors to prioritize review of PRs.

*How?*
1. Github webhook would send status update events to the Lambda function
2. Lambda would then label the CI based on following conditions

*if WIP in title or PR is draft or CI failed:    pr-work-in-progresselif CI
has not started yet or CI is in progress:    pr-awaiting-testingelse: # CI
passed checks    if pr has at least one approval and no request changes:
    pr-awaiting-merge    elif pr has no review or all reviews have been
dismissed/re-requested:        pr-awaiting-review    else: # pr has a
review that hasn't been dismissed yet no approval
pr-awaiting-response*

To that end, a POC was done to test if it's possible & result: it works.
Results of 1 successful run on Prod for apache/incubator-mxnet repo

Open PRs : 207
PRs labeled : 18
PRs already labeled : 38
PRs with unknown jobs : 2
PRs with status failed : 149

Lambda function labeled 18 PRs that had passed all the tests.

PR for POC: https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet-ci/pull/27
However, Marco made a valid point regarding leveraging Github Webhooks
[instead of Jenkins] for retrieving status of the PR.

*What's required?*
Thus, to get this feature functional, I'd need a separate Github webhook
that sends information related to PR Status. Just like the webhook request
for CI Bot, I can send the details over private email to Marco's personal
email address & then he can create a ticket with Apache Infra.

Thanks to Sheng & Marco for guidance & assistance on this.

Thanks,
Chai

--
*Chaitanya Prakash Bapat*
*+1 (973) 953-6299*

[image: https://www.linkedin.com//in/chaibapat25]
<https://github.com/ChaiBapchya>[image: https://www.facebook.com/chaibapat]
<https://www.facebook.com/chaibapchya>[image:
https://twitter.com/ChaiBapchya] <https://twitter.com/ChaiBapchya>[image:
https://www.linkedin.com//in/chaibapat25]
<https://www.linkedin.com//in/chaibapchya/>

Re: [CI] Proposal for automatic PR labeling

Posted by Chaitanya Bapat <ch...@gmail.com>.
Sure. Few others reported the clutter due to state switches. Also the
Github UI shows these label switches in same line confounding the users.

So maybe, reducing the states can help declutter.

I'd let others comment and wait till Saturday for developers to use it and
get a feel.
If no one opposes the change till Saturday, then I'll drop support for
pr-awaiting-testing label

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks chai!

Posted by Chaitanya Bapat <ch...@gmail.com>.