Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Benoy Antony <ba...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/06 00:56:02 UTC

Re: using Kerberos with certificate for authenticating Hadoop components instead of login/password keytabs

Hi Dominique,

It should work. This is because the authentication mechanism (password or
certificate) is between the client and KDC (kerberos server). Hadoop never
knows about the password or certificate.  The Hadoop servers receive a
service ticket from the client. Client obtains  service ticket from KDC.
Thus the authentication mechanism ((password or certificate) is between the
client and KDC.

Though I have not used a certificate for authentication, I had used a 2FA
based kerberos authentication. Instead of password , it was Pin and a
token.
The process was like this

>kinit username

Enter pin and token

Posted by Rajiv Chittajallu <ra...@oath.com.INVALID>.
Hi Dominique,

I think you are referring to PKINIT. This is applicable for getting
initial TGT. As for region servers (and other similar components in
hadoop), the principal is used in two contexts, one as a service and
other as a client.

* A service to HBase Client
To replace service principal with a x509 cert means to replace
Kerberos as an authentication mechanism and use mutual TLS (zero
cypher for no encryption)

* A Client to HDFS

It could be possible to do that with PKINIT. What is the value in doing this.

Generally it is more complicated to run a X509 CA infra than a KDC and
in general there is always a KDC in the network.

Posted by Benoy Antony <ba...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Dominique for the late reply.

For components like hadoop servers or hbase servers , currently it requires
a keytab file to authenticate with KDC and obtain TGT. So AFAIK , the
authentication between Hadoop/hbase server and KDC cannot use certificate.

cheers.
Benoy

Posted by Dominique De Vito <dd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antony,