Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org> on 2004/10/19 19:11:22 UTC

more intuitive place for Cocoon status page and clear-cache command.

Hi all,
For a long time I didn't know about the
"cocoon/samples/clear-cache.html" URL. I kept shutting down Tomcat and
restarting it in order to clear the cache. :-/

Suggestion to make this and a couple of other things more intuitive:
- Put a link to the "status" page on the Cocoon main page. "Samples" is
not an intuitive place to look for servlet status.
- On the status page, in the section that tells about the cache, include
a link to clear-cache.html. Likewise to clearpersistentstore.html. This
would make more sense than putting these commands on the samples page.
- It might be useful, too, to have a link on the "status" page to show
the output of xalan:checkEnvironment(), to show more details about the
versions of various components (Xalan, Xerces, SAX, etc.) being used.

I would be happy to make a patch for this if someone wants to commit it.

Lars

Re: more intuitive place for Cocoon status page and clear-cache command.

Posted by mvaterlaus <mv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony, hi all,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:14:17 -0500, Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> wrote:
<snip/>
> > - It might be useful, too, to have a link on the "status" page to show
> > the output of xalan:checkEnvironment(), to show more details about the
> > versions of various components (Xalan, Xerces, SAX, etc.) being used.
> >

> This also sounds like a good idea.  A long time ago I was throwing
> around the idea of making something like PHP's "phpinfo()" page that
> shows a ton of useful information about the system.  Perhaps we could
> figure out something like this that would show the system environment,
> the container info, etc...

I would really appreciate such a solution. Why not move all the
informal and management stuff like status page, link checker or the
possibility to clear the cache to a section of its own called
"management"? The according files would be moved in a dedicated
directory with a sitemap of its own.

Markus

Re: more intuitive place for Cocoon status page and clear-cache command.

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Lars Huttar wrote:

> Hi all,
> For a long time I didn't know about the
> "cocoon/samples/clear-cache.html" URL. I kept shutting down Tomcat and
> restarting it in order to clear the cache. :-/

Lots of stuff is buried.

> Suggestion to make this and a couple of other things more intuitive:
> - Put a link to the "status" page on the Cocoon main page. "Samples" is
> not an intuitive place to look for servlet status.

+1

> - On the status page, in the section that tells about the cache, include
> a link to clear-cache.html. Likewise to clearpersistentstore.html. This
> would make more sense than putting these commands on the samples page.

+1

> - It might be useful, too, to have a link on the "status" page to show
> the output of xalan:checkEnvironment(), to show more details about the
> versions of various components (Xalan, Xerces, SAX, etc.) being used.

This also sounds like a good idea.  A long time ago I was throwing
around the idea of making something like PHP's "phpinfo()" page that
shows a ton of useful information about the system.  Perhaps we could
figure out something like this that would show the system environment,
the container info, etc...

> I would be happy to make a patch for this if someone wants to commit it.

I'd be more than happy to commit it :)

Tony

Re: more intuitive place for Cocoon status page and clear-cache command.

Posted by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 19.10.2004 19:11, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> For a long time I didn't know about the
>> "cocoon/samples/clear-cache.html" URL. I kept shutting down Tomcat
>> and restarting it in order to clear the cache. :-/
>>
>> Suggestion to make this and a couple of other things more intuitive:
>> - Put a link to the "status" page on the Cocoon main page. "Samples"
>> is not an intuitive place to look for servlet status.
>> - On the status page, in the section that tells about the cache,
>> include a link to clear-cache.html. Likewise to
>> clearpersistentstore.html. This would make more sense than putting
>> these commands on the samples page.
>> - It might be useful, too, to have a link on the "status" page to
>> show the output of xalan:checkEnvironment(), to show more details
>> about the versions of various components (Xalan, Xerces, SAX, etc.)
>> being used.
>

> Good ideas, but I fear switching off the samples removes also this
> functionality, i.e. these links are not available without samples. So
> we should either make them available, i.e. drag them out of smaples
> sitemap and drop them in root or whatever sitemap. Or we should remove
> the links on the start page when the samples are excluded.
>
> Joerg

Would anyone else like to pick this up and either commit my patch or
else improve it and then commit it?
Tony Collen was going to do it but has gotten bogged down in work.

(See below for explanation of attached files.)

Thanks,
Lars

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.