Posted to user@poi.apache.org by navjamsster <ku...@in.ibm.com> on 2009/01/28 08:30:24 UTC

will POI 3.5 support million data in single worksheet

Hi,
I wanted to know Is POI 3.5 version support to create million data in single
worksheet.?
What is the maximum limit when we are using macro in the excel file.

Regards
Naveen

Re: will POI 3.5 support million data in single worksheet

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
The limit for .xls is 2^16 (65535 rows), for .xlsx is 2^20 (1048576 rows).

In theory POI is limited only by the size of your JVM, if it is big enough to fit the data then you will be able to
generate "big grids". In practice, the maximum limit of heap on 32-bit JVM is 2GB (If you are using 64-bit JDK then the
possible heap size is much bigger).  2GB is enough to fit approximately 10K or rows, the exact limit depends on the
row-cell grid density (sparse grids require less memory).

If you generate .xlsx files, then you can stream the data directly in XML. See an example that demonstrates the idea:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/examples/src/org/apache/poi/xssf/usermodel/examples/BigGridDemo.java

Yegor