Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Elizabeth Gorkic <eg...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/16 19:04:00 UTC

"Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0" issue

Hi, does anyone know what the 'official' Apache explanation is for the contradictory information in Tomcat 6 README and RELEASE-NOTES:

When you open http://apache.crihan.fr/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.20/README.html , you get this message:

Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0. Read the RELEASE-NOTES and the RUNNING.txt file in the distribution for more details.

If you open RELEASE-NOTES you will see=================== Dependency Changes: ===================
Tomcat 6.0 is designed to run on JSE 5.0 and later

>From the Release Notes I gather that I can use Java 6 (which is what a lot of developers do, so I know it works).  But, what does “Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0” imply?  That Tomcat 6 will only be supported with Java 5, but one can run it on Java 6 at their own risk?  I mean, if I have a Tomcat problem while running Java 6, will my bug be considered for fixing?

 Should the warning be removed from the site?  If yes, how do we make that happen?

My company has a policy to deploy only officially supported platforms, and I can’t move to Java 6 with Tomcat while “Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0” is there.

Thank you for your help, Eliot

RE: "Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0" issue

Posted by Elizabeth Gorkic <eg...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Elizabeth Gorkic [mailto:egorkic@hotmail.com]
> Subject: "Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0" issue
>
> When you open http://apache.crihan.fr/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/
> v6.0.20/README.html , you get this message:
>
> Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0. Read the RELEASE-NOTES and the RUNNING.txt
> file in the distribution for more details.

It's not at all clear where this README.html file comes from.  It's not part of the Tomcat source or binary distributions, and appears to exist only on the mirror web sites.  Rely on what's in the Tomcat downloads, which say Java SE 5 or later.

 - Chuck

Re: "Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0" issue

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.
2009/11/16 Elizabeth Gorkic <eg...@hotmail.com>:
> My company has a policy to deploy only officially supported platforms

... then why are they running open source software such as Tomcat,
which has no "official" support?

- Peter

Re: "Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0" issue

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Elizabeth Gorkic wrote:

> My company has a policy to deploy only officially supported platforms, and I can’t move to Java 6 with Tomcat while “Tomcat 6.0 requires JRE 5.0” is there.

Can you tell us which company that is, so that we make sure we never
apply for a job there ?

Considering that Tomcat is free software, made by volunteers, and
supported by volunteers on an ad-hoc basis, I an afraid that your
company then should probably not deploy any Tomcat version at all.

Which would be a pity, but then hey, suppliers of officially supported
software have to live also.

Sorry for this, I am reacting to the tone of your question in general.
I would imagine that anyone with a modicum of knowledge of Java would
assume that "requires Java 1.5" actually means ".. or later".