Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by raybristol <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/02 10:25:48 UTC

help, problem of java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)

I post this one on Derby developer area and just realize that I should post
it here, sorry for the duplicate thread as I can't move that one to here for
some reason...

I am using eclipse plugin for derby, I apply derby nature in multiple
projects, however when I try to start the derby from the menu I got:

Security manager installed using the Basic server security policy.
2007-10-01 15:16:41.125 GMT Thread[main,5,main]
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
derby.log read)
org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.embeddedDriverAcceptsURL(Ljava/lang/String;)Z
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.acceptsURL(Unknown Source)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.startNetworkServer(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.blockingStart(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.executeWork(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl.main(Unknown Source)

however, in some project I can start the derby server correctly without
above error, so I don't understand why I above errors in other projects?

Many thanks,
Ray

Re: help, problem of java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)

Posted by raybristol <ra...@gmail.com>.

raybristol wrote:

> I post this one on Derby developer area and just realize that I should
> post it here, sorry for the duplicate thread as I can't move that one to
> here for some reason...
>

> I am using eclipse plugin for derby, I apply derby nature in multiple
> projects, however when I try to start the derby from the menu I got:
>
> Security manager installed using the Basic server security policy.
> 2007-10-01 15:16:41.125 GMT Thread[main,5,main]
> (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.embeddedDriverAcceptsURL(Ljava/lang/String;)Z
>         at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.acceptsURL(Unknown
> Source)
>         at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.startNetworkServer(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.blockingStart(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.NetworkServerControlImpl.executeWork(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl.main(Unknown Source)
>

> however, in some project I can start the derby server correctly without
> above error, so I don't understand why I above errors in other projects?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ray

hi all, actually the main problem is not to do with the file permission,
it's the errors underneath as I can get rid of the file permission thing but
still got:

Posted by raybristol <ra...@gmail.com>.

Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>> I am using eclipse plugin for derby, I apply derby nature in multiple
>> projects, however when I try to start the derby from the menu I got:
>>
>> Security manager installed using the Basic server security policy.
>> 2007-10-01 15:16:41.125 GMT Thread[main,5,main]
>> java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
>> (java.io.FilePermission
>> derby.log read)
>
> The default Java security policy that is delivered with the Derby
> network server appears to be a bit too restrictive; there have been
> several
> problem reports recently of situations where the security policy is
> preventing actions which ought to be allowed.
>
> As a workaround, you can install your own, looser security policy for
> the network server.
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/tadminnetservrun.html
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Thanks!

Re: help, problem of java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/07, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> As a workaround, you can install your own, looser security policy for
> the network server.
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/tadminnetservrun.html
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

I wonder though, how would that work with the eclipse plugin?
As far as I know, the plugin does not currently allow you to configure
the network server to specify a different policy file.

I logged DERBY-2913 for a suggested improvement of the plugin, but no
one's picked it up (yet)...

Myrna

Re: help, problem of java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.