Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/01 16:18:37 UTC

Outlook 2007/imap headers

Hello,

Almost all my user use Outlook :(

In the past with Outlook 2003, I was using an IMAP account to permit
my users to transmit their spam with all the headers.  But now with
Outlook 2007 I lost almost all the headers when the email is moved to
an IMAP account.

Anyone have found a solution to this "great" new Outlook feature?

Thanks,
François

Re: Outlook 2007/imap headers

Posted by Mike Cardwell <sp...@lists.grepular.com>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:

>>> And, exchange 2003, service pack 1 took away the ability for imap to
>>> see public folders, didn't it?
>>
>> I pull spam and ham via IMAP from public folders on an Exchange 2003
>> server with SP2.  Works great, includes all headers.
>>
> one of our guys just let me know that imap users on Exchange 2007 can't
> read public folders, I was mistaken (SP1 broke it)
>
> <http://iss.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/137/exchange_2007-withdrawal_of_public_folder_access_using_imap_client_software>

I've recently been writing an application which transfers messages via
IMAP into an Exchange 2007 system. One thing I've noticed is that doing
an IMAP APPEND, and then fetching the same message with an IMAP FETCH,
retrieves a heavily modified version of the message. It seems to do all
sorts of weird things to messages, so it may not be appropriate to pull
messages out of Exchange 2007 via IMAP to feed into sa-learn.

Some examples:

It parses the Date header and rewrites it in it's preferred format. It
even changes the timezone!

It adds a Date header if one was missing.

The From/To/Cc headers are parsed and rewritten in Exchanges preferred
format.

I came across a message with a Subject line of: "Subject: Latest
Vacancies For =??Q?PhD=92S?=", when I read that one back after uploading
it, the entire subject line is empty.

Headers named "Message-Id" are renamed "Message-ID". A new Message-ID is
added if one doesn't already exist.

Line wrapping in headers is messed with too.

There's probably loads of other little things.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/

Re: Outlook 2007/imap headers

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: Outlook 2007/imap headers

Posted by Brent Gardner <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
François Rousseau wrote:
> Sorry I have forget to specify the other Microsoft tricks ;)
>
> You will continu to see all the headers in you Outlook client but if
> you use another email client or if you go check directly on the email
> server you will not have all the headers (only a part of it).

And, exchange 2003, service pack 1 took away the ability for imap to see
public folders, didn't it?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: Outlook 2007/imap headers

Posted by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I have forget to specify the other Microsoft tricks ;)

You will continu to see all the headers in you Outlook client but if
you use another email client or if you go check directly on the email
server you will not have all the headers (only a part of it).

* I have not test with Exchange account, only pop3.

François

Posted by Rob Sterenborg <R....@netsourcing.nl>.

Posted by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com>.
2009/9/1 Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>:
> On tir 01 sep 2009 16:18:37 CEST, François Rousseau wrote
>
>> Almost all my user use Outlook :(
>
> why is it sad ?, it can do imap aswell as pop3
>
>> In the past with Outlook 2003, I was using an IMAP account to
>> permit my users to transmit their spam with all the headers.
>
> okay
>
>> But now with Outlook 2007 I lost almost all the headers when the
>> email is moved to an IMAP account.
>
> moved from imap to imap folder ?, same remote password in one mailbox on
> server ?
>
> if otherwize the user gets mail from pop3 and later move it with imap, then
> i might say headers will be changed
>
>> Anyone have found a solution to this "great" new Outlook feature?
>
> dovecot-antispam, and all remote users via imap, it even works with amiga :)
>
> dspam add a tag to the body so when reported back as ham or spam, it only
> need this tag to know original headers and body as learnt in the first place
>
> --
> xpoint

Maybe I was not clear but yes my users use pop3 accounts and move
problematic email to one common IMAP account.  (in fact one common
account by group of users)

With Thunderbird and Outlook 2003, the headers was there but not with
Outlook 2007.

It could be an idea to encapsulated the "spam" message into another
email (report_safe) but I could also juste keep trying to explain to
some of my user how to forward an email as an attachment.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.