Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Vijay S. Bajwa" <vi...@citigroup.com> on 2007/01/17 16:04:09 UTC

Peek into Document?

I have a rather large document consisting of the following elements:

<trdMsg>
  <msgHdr>
  </msgHdr>

  <block>
  </block>

  <alloc>
  </alloc>
  <alloc>
  </alloc>
  <!-- allocs could be repeating 10000 times -->
</trdMsg>

I just want to peek into the msgHdr. Currently I am using SAXParser to parse
the whole document. Is there a way to just extract out msgHdr w/o parsing all
the remaining elements? I guess just stop the SAX parsing after the msgHdr, but
is this efficient if internally some producer thread is merrily parsing ahead?

Thanks a lot!
Vijay

Re: Peek into Document?

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

On 1/17/07, Vijay S. Bajwa <vi...@citigroup.com> wrote:

> I just want to peek into the msgHdr. Currently I am using SAXParser to parse
> the whole document. Is there a way to just extract out msgHdr w/o parsing all
> the remaining elements? I guess just stop the SAX parsing after the msgHdr, but
> is this efficient if internally some producer thread is merrily parsing ahead?

SAX is as efficient as you will get in this situation.

Grab the piece in between your <msgHdr>...</msgHdr> and stop the parse.

Cheers, jas.