Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/25 07:55:51 UTC

Push for a release

Hi all,
I would like to push for the first incubating release of Clerezza; talking
these days at IKS Workshop with some people made me realize that this is
going to be one of the first steps to enhance our community.
This is going to be a challenging process but hopefully will lead us to have
a cleaner project too.
What do you think?
Tommaso

RE: Push for a release

Posted by Marco Zaugg <ma...@trialox.org>.
+1

I'm also pointing at the fact that we need a proper project website
including updated tutorials. I'll going to work on the Clerezza logo
and screendesign of the website in July, so we should be up and running
in August/September.

Re. logo: Just checked the infos on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html

Does one of the PMCs know where I do get the proper Apache feather in EPS
format
from? In chapter 'Logos and Graphics' it's said there will be much simpler
version
of the feather. Does anyone know when this is available?

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
Hi Tommaso,

I fully support this idea and also the idea of Bertrand for a small
tutorial.
I think, a concise compilation and installation/operation guide is
necessary as well.

kr
Hasan

--
   Hasan Hasan
   trialox AG

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much Bertrand :)
Tommaso

RE: Push for a release

Posted by Marco Zaugg <ma...@trialox.org>.
Tommaso, that's a good idea. We, Reto, Tsuy and I had a chat
about this three weeks ago. We agreed on the following work packages:

Reto is working on the outstanding issues in regards to a first proper
release.

Tsuy is coordinating the documentation, tutorials, step-by-step guide work
that goes together with the release.

I'm coordinating the build of the Apache Clerezza project website that also
includes coming up with suggestions on the Apache Clerezza logo and
screendesign
of the project website.

We agreed on having a first version of the project website up and running
in October. Whether that already includes the first release version I don't
know. Reto thought it might take another month to finish it. But if you can
help to speed up the process that would be fabulous.

Specifically, I'm interested in getting more documentation and tutorials
on your UIMA integration. Do you already have some sample code and working
examples you can show?

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marco,

2010/9/3 Marco Zaugg <ma...@trialox.org>

> Tommaso, that's a good idea. We, Reto, Tsuy and I had a chat
> about this three weeks ago. We agreed on the following work packages:
>
> Reto is working on the outstanding issues in regards to a first proper
> release.
>
> Tsuy is coordinating the documentation, tutorials, step-by-step guide work
> that goes together with the release.
>
> I'm coordinating the build of the Apache Clerezza project website that also
> includes coming up with suggestions on the Apache Clerezza logo and
> screendesign
> of the project website.

I am happy to hear that, as I said I don't have so much time in the upcoming
month but I will do my best to help out.

> We agreed on having a first version of the project website up and running
> in October. Whether that already includes the first release version I don't
> know. Reto thought it might take another month to finish it. But if you can
> help to speed up the process that would be fabulous.
>
> Specifically, I'm interested in getting more documentation and tutorials
> on your UIMA integration. Do you already have some sample code and working
> examples you can show?

I started to do Maven site documentation for it the
UIMABaseMetadataGenerator, essentially you can use it for non-interactive
meta-data extraction which could be exposed by some service in order to add
metadata depending on its media type.
I am also working on a second use case that is automatic concept suggestion
when defining concepts for a specific resource (sample URL:
http://clerezza_host:8080/concepts/generic-resource?uri=http://graphurl/ ).
I'll upload basic doc pages (Maven site) now and then update them with
samples.
Have a nice day,
Tommaso

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
The huge amount of javascript is jquery and yui. not sure if inclusion of
those is problematic.

cheers,
reto

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
I agree with Reto regarding the shortening of the artifacts ids, but this is
going to be a huge work and maybe we should set a "code freeze" for a couple
of days while doing this name refactoring or make this work in a branch
(maybe better).
I think we should point out the list of issues to be closed in a couple of
weeks and defer everything else past the release.
This is my short list of must-fix issues:

   - CLEREZZA-245 - read/write locks are not set in different projects
   - CLEREZZA-215 - Triaxrs: jaxrs resources/providers are not bound after
   the first start, because their reference is static
   - CLEREZZA-206 - test failures in
   org.apache.clerezza.rdf.jena.tdb.storage

>From what I see on ohloh.net Clerezza code analysis [1], I think a
significant part of the release process will be also verifying the code and
dependencies' licenses.
My opinion regarding the writing of a tutorial is that we should work on it
just after we have a release so that people can get Clerezza artifacts from
a repository and/or download a distribution to play with. The release will
also force us to have a clean working build process we can then document on
the tutorials so that people shouldn't find so hard to just do a 'mvn
compile'.

Cheers,
Tommaso

[1] : https://www.ohloh.net/p/clerezza/analyses/latest

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
What comes to mind is:

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ito <ts...@trialox.org>.
Hi tommaso

Re: Push for a release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Marco,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Marco Zaugg <ma...@trialox.org> wrote:
> ...I'm also pointing at the fact that we need a proper project website
> including updated tutorials...

I agree with that, IMO a "discover Clerezza in 15 minutes" tutorial
would be cool to help people find out what Clerezza is about. I cannot
help start that as my knowledge of Clerezza is too limited, but I'd
gladly serve as a guinea pig / reviewer if someone can create that.

Still, making a first release before the website is updated would also
be good from my mentor's point of view, so that the project members
learn about the release process.

There's one here: http://people.apache.org/~bdelacretaz/files/asf_logo_1999.eps

> ...In chapter 'Logos and Graphics' it's said there will be much simpler
> version of the feather...

I don't think this has happened yet.

-Bertrand