Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by pe...@zv.fraunhofer.de on 2021/08/10 08:13:22 UTC

Future of VPR - updates?

Hi there,

here is a talk where Rohit outlines the present, future and past of VPR in 2018-2019

What is the current VPR roadmap today in 2021, if available?

viele Grüße / kind regards

--

Peter Muryshkin

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft

Re: Future of VPR - updates?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Peter,

Some work is being done by my colleagues here which specifically improves systemvmtemplates management (registering/seeding and upgrades; same template for VR, systemvms, CKS etc.) and implements foundation for future improvements (this is currently targetted for 4.16):

I can share something we're exploring at work which will be discussed in the community in the future (not targetting 4.16):

  *   Support for IPv6 in VR (being discussed on dev@, phase1 in design/discussion - more on that in the other thread)
  *   Getting rid of systemvm.iso (an internally PoC confirmed our idea, in our backlog - TBD)
  *   Zero downtime upgrades using a new live patch admin API (patch the VR over ssh without destroying/rebooting it, in our backlog - TBD)
  *   A new stable and faster, lightweight VR agent (in investigation/poc state - TBD)
  *   Share-able networks for users (across projects/accounts) and user-shared networks (in design phase)
  *   A new network entity/construct that allows users to bring their own VR appliances and create VNF/custom networks (idea phase)

Regards.

here is a talk where Rohit outlines the present, future and past of VPR in 2018-2019

What is the current VPR roadmap today in 2021, if available?

viele Grüße / kind regards

--

Peter Muryshkin

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft