Posted to users@maven.apache.org by edrico <ed...@yahoo.com> on 2010/12/16 00:04:08 UTC

updatePolicy="never" always does 1 initial check?

I'm having an issue with marking my repository as <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>. It seems as though even with the never parameter, the first time an artifact is referenced, an initial check to the remote repo happens. After that, the metadata.xml is created locally and further checks for updates don't occur.

situation:
artifactB depends on artifactA

Procedure:
1) install artifactA locally
2) build artifactB locally, with repo updatepolicy never. The hope would be that the locally installed artifactA will be used, without ever contacting the remote repository.

result:
Maven goes to the remote repository to get info on artifactA ("checking for updates") If there is a newer than local version, it is downloaded.  metadata.xml is created locally with name metada-<repoid>.xml

This is causing me all kinds of headaches. Is it working as designed? I would think updatePolicy=never should never check for updates if there is a local copy.

Can someone point me to the code that is making the decision to Check for Updates?

Re: updatePolicy="never" always does 1 initial check?

Posted by edrico <ed...@yahoo.com>.
I tested with a very simple test case and made sure to delete the dependency and dependent from the local reposoitory.

With maven 2.2.1 it behaves as I posted, always doing one initial check and pulling down the newer version if available.

With maven 3.0.1 it behaves correctly and does not go to the remote repository at all.

We are using 2.2.1 in our environment.

I will open an issue on 2.2.1 today. Are those still being fixed at all? Is it possible to do patches ourselves locally?  Does anyone know which code/module would control this checking?

Yes you are right. Maven should never check the remote repo if you have configured the updatePolicy to never and the artefact is locally installed.

>From the documentation
updatePolicy     String     The frequency for downloading updates - can be "always", "daily" (default), "interval:XXX" (in minutes) or "never" (only if it doesn't exist locally).

http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0/maven-settings/settings.html

The only thing I could imagine that you may have another version of the artefact or placed it in the wrong folder
of your local repo.

edrico wrote:
> I'm having an issue with marking my repository as <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>. It seems as though even with the never parameter, the first time an artifact is referenced, an initial check to the remote repo happens. After that, the metadata.xml is created locally and further checks for updates don't occur.
> situation:
> artifactB depends on artifactA
>
> Procedure:
> 1) install artifactA locally 2) build artifactB locally, with repo updatepolicy never. The hope would be that the locally installed artifactA will be used, without ever contacting the remote repository.
> result:
> Maven goes to the remote repository to get info on artifactA ("checking for updates") If there is a newer than local version, it is downloaded.  metadata.xml is created locally with name metada-<repoid>.xml
>
> This is causing me all kinds of headaches. Is it working as designed? I would think updatePolicy=never should never check for updates if there is a local copy.
> Can someone point me to the code that is making the decision to Check for Updates?

-- B.Sc. Johannes Homuth

SOURCEPARK GmbH
Helmholtzstr. 2-9, Gebäude M
10587 Berlin
Tel.:   +49 (0) 30 / 39 80 68 30
Fax:    +49 (0) 30 / 39 80 68 39
e-mail: jhomuth@sourcepark.de
www:    www.sourcepark.de
SOURCEPARK GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin / Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
HRB 80254
Geschäftsführung: Matthias Barmeier, Harald Dürr

Diese Email kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen
enthalten. Wenn sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irr-
tümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort diesen Absender und ver-
nichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Re: updatePolicy="never" always does 1 initial check?

Posted by Johannes Homuth <jo...@sourcepark.de>.
Yes you are right. Maven should never check the remote repo if you have
configured the updatePolicy to never and the artefact is locally installed.

 From the documentation