Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2004/12/20 23:26:23 UTC

[OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

I was informed last OT post I made that the subject should always
include the word "beer".  I added the "free" to get your attention :)

I'm working on something for which I need to know what the os.name
property on various OS's is.  I would greatly appreciate it if some
folks could try the following:

public class test {
System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.name"));
}
}

I'm particularly interested in various *nix variants, Linux, Mac and
such.  Windows I already have answers for (although some verification to
be sure nothing fishy is going on wouldn't hurt).

If you could just post your OS and what the result was, I would greatly
appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

Posted by Sann Maung <ya...@yahoo.com>.
RedHat 9.0 = Linux
Windows XP = Windows XP

Run with JDK 1.5.0

Posted by Giuseppe Briotti <g....@mclink.it>.
Well, these are the results:

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On Debian GNU/Linux:

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/lang/src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/SystemUtils.java?rev=1.38&view=auto

While it doesn't provide you with the actual String, it gives you a
way to look it up, and there's always the chance you could just use
the API.

Hen

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On solaris:

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On solaris:

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
On TAO Linux (Compiled from RHEL)

Linux

I already use this. I switch from pooled (on server) to direct on my
development box (windows). Saves me the hassle of changing code.

Doug

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@lapcominc.com>.
On Mac OS X, the output is "Mac OS X"

Greg

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> If you could just post your OS and what the result was, I would greatly
> appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

"Linux" for Ubuntu Linux (Hoary)/i386, Sun JDK 1.4.2

HTH
--
Torsten

Re: [OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Maybe a google search would serve your needs:

http://lopica.sourceforge.net/os.html

Stephen

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
FC2 returns:

Posted by Jason Vinson <vi...@charter.net>.

Re: [OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On Debian GNU/Linux:

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On solaris:

Posted by hutuworm <hu...@gmail.com>.
"Linux" for RHEL 3 update 3 with J2SE 1.4.2_05

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:24:20 -0500, Frank W. Zammetti
<fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> It's in the mail :)
>
> (Of course, if I can finish what I'm working on tomorrow, I'll release
> that in lue of beer, and Christmas presents :)  It's nothing
> Earth-shattering, but may come in handy for some folks)
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> Andrew Hill wrote:
> > Windows 2000
> >
> > ...so when do I get my free beer mate? ;-)
> >
> > Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> >
> >> I was informed last OT post I made that the subject should always
> >> include the word "beer".  I added the "free" to get your attention :)
> >>
> >> I'm working on something for which I need to know what the os.name
> >> property on various OS's is.  I would greatly appreciate it if some
> >> folks could try the following:
> >>
> >> public class test {
> >> public static void main(String[] args) {
> >> System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.name"));
> >> }
> >> }
> >>
> >> I'm particularly interested in various *nix variants, Linux, Mac and
> >> such.  Windows I already have answers for (although some verification
> >> to be sure nothing fishy is going on wouldn't hurt).
> >>
> >> If you could just post your OS and what the result was, I would
> >> greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

> > .

In doG We Trust
http://www.hutuworm.org

Re: [OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
It's in the mail :)

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Windows 2000

Posted by Peter Maas <pe...@noterik.nl>.
On Debian GNU/Linux:

Posted by Mike Curwen <g_...@globallyboundless.com>.
Win XP SP2 = "Windows XP"

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Geez, can't say I even knew there was a JVM for AS/400 :)  I think I'm
going to hold off supporting that OS with what I'm doing, at least
initially.  Thanks for the info though, I'll add it to my list, for when
the time comes.

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Hi
Do u care about AS400 system value, if so then
Key os.name Value OS/400

Ashish
--- "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:

> I was informed last OT post I made that the subject
> should always
> include the word "beer".  I added the "free" to get
> your attention :)
>
> I'm working on something for which I need to know
> what the os.name
> property on various OS's is.  I would greatly
> appreciate it if some
> folks could try the following:
>
> public class test {
> System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.name"));
> }
> }
>
> I'm particularly interested in various *nix
> variants, Linux, Mac and
> such.  Windows I already have answers for (although
> some verification to
> be sure nothing fishy is going on wouldn't hurt).
>
> If you could just post your OS and what the result
> was, I would greatly
> appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

=====
A$HI$H

Re: [OT] Request an app test (free beer!)

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Excellent, thank you Jeff!

There's more discrete values than I had hoped, but I can still
accomplish my goals.

Thanks to everyone that has replied thus far!

--

Posted by Je...@bcbstx.com.