Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/01 13:29:36 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache pass ssl+http to tomcat

On 4/30/07, Mike Grandmaison <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a tomcat web app in a hosted environment.  The hosted
> environment uses apache and virtual hosts to pass requests for certain
> domains onto tomcat.  I want tomcat to handle the ssl instead of having
> apache decrypt and pass the http request to tomcat.  Do I need to use a
> connector in order to accomplish this or can I do it through strict apache
> configuration?
>
> I initially tried mod_proxy which didn't tell tomcat about the ssl nature of
> the request and since I am using an http to https redirect in tomcat an
> infinite loop ensued.
>
> I also tried mod_jk which worked but resulted in really bad performance
> problems that disappeared when I took away mod_jk.
>
> Can the connectors work and pass ssl requests unmodified to tomcat?

You can't do what you are trying to do. Passing SSL without decrypting
it to tomcat is something that can't be done with apache. How is
apache to know what to do with a request when the request is just a
stream of apparently random noise?

It is also something you don't need apache for. Just do a port forward
on the OS level.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com