Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/01/08 22:11:19 UTC

Merge of types branch onto the trunk

Hi,

As many of you know, for more than nine month now we have been doing
most of our development work on the types branch. The code on the types
branch is almost a complete rewrite of the system with dramatically (10x
on some queries) performance speedup and many new features such as
introduction of the type system, addition of limit, etc. This code has
been successfully used in Yahoo for the last several month and is
stable.

It is now time for us to move the code from the types branch to the
trunk to make it our main code base. Here is the proposal for the move:

(1) The move will happen next Monday, 1/12, 2-3 pm. The move will
consist of two parts: moving current trunk (using svn mv command) to a
new branch called "pretypes" so that it can still be available to those
who need it; moving types branch (using svn mv)  to the trunk so that
all main development and use can be done from it. We expect the move to
take approximately 1 hour and we would ask the users not to use SVN
during that time.

(2) Once the move is complete, you can access the content of the old
trunk via the following command:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/pig/branches/pretypes

(3) We strongly encourage you to move your work on to the latest trunk
code as it is more efficient and is the code that will be supported
going forward. The new code is not completely backward compatible and
will require changes especially in the area of the UDFs. We have
documentation to ease the transition:

http://wiki.apache.org/pig/TrunkToTypesChanges - document that describes
changes needed for transition
http://wiki.apache.org/pig-data/attachments/FrontPage/attachments/plrm.h
tm - PigLating manual for the latest code
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/UDFManual - Manual for using and writing UDFs
with the latest code

(4) If you are a owner of a UDF in the piggybank, make sure that your
UDFs are transitioned to the latest code.

Let us know if you have questions or concerns. Unless we here serious
objections between now and Monday, we will go ahead with the plan above.

Thanks,

Olga

RE: REMINDER: Merge of types branch onto the trunk

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

We have completed the move. Please give it a try and report any problems
you find.

Please discontinue using types branch since it will no longer be used
for active development. If you are a developer, create patches against
trunk rather than types branch. If you are a committer, please, commit
new code to the trunk rather than types branch. If you have any code in
types branch that needs to be committed, just create a patch out of it
and it will work on the trunk.

Olga

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Hi,

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Hi,

Re: Merge of types branch onto the trunk

Posted by Stephane Bastian <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olga,

This is a great news!! You have been doing a great job on the type
branch and I'm glad to see that'll be merged into the trunk shortly.
All my kudos to the team and everyone else who participated. Great job!

Stephane Bastian