Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Matt Tennant <mt...@4home.com> on 2010/10/19 22:50:32 UTC

Downloading bundle jar versus source

Hi all,

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I cannot find the answer in the
Felix download area (http://felix.apache.org/site/downloads.cgi).  I was
trying to obtain the exact Jetty code used in both:

.         org.apache.felix.http.bundle-2.0.4.jar

.         org.apache.felix.http.jetty-1.0.0.jar

I downloaded the source tar.gz for each (the latter coming from archive).
What I found is source for far less than is in the bundle jar.  For
example, within 2.0.4 I found the following java files only:

./src/main/java/org/apache/felix/http/jetty/internal/JettyService.java

./src/main/java/org/apache/felix/http/jetty/internal/JettyConfig.java

./src/main/java/org/apache/felix/http/jetty/internal/JettyActivator.java

./src/main/java/org/apache/felix/http/jetty/internal/JettyLogger.java

Within the 2.0.4 bundle, there are over 400 .class files.  I am obviously
missing something about what the meaning of the source download is.  Can
somebody illuminate me?

Alternatively, I could download the source from Jetty's site directly.  To
do that, I just need to know what exact Jetty version corresponds to the
Felix Jetty bundle version 1.0.0 and 2.0.4.  If anybody knows that or how
I can get that, thanks.  I don't see any mention of a separate Jetty
version within the bundle manifest.

Thanks,

Matt

PS For the curious, this is a follow-up to my previous thread about Jetty,
which I will respond to now for closure.

Re: Downloading bundle jar versus source

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
  On 10/19/10 15:29, Matt Tennant wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thank you very much.  I can get the exact Jetty version from the pom.xml
> file in the project.
>
> I still don't see how the Jetty class files are pulled into the build
> process for the project, but it clearly has something to do with Maven and
> the dependencies in the pom.xml file.  I won't ask about it further unless
> I take the time to learn about Maven a little.  :)

The Maven Bundle Plugin (thanks to BND) allows us to pull in packages
from the class path (or complete dependencies) and include them in the
resulting JAR file. This is very convenient in cases where, like the
HTTP Service, the packages are an implementation detail which we'd like
to hide to keep the resulting bundle self contained.

-> richard

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.