Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2017/07/19 06:35:10 UTC

Eclipse vs other IDEs (was: Re: Ide for Open Office (was Building OO))

What is so "very basic" about Eclipse? It's an excellent IDE, among the
best C++ IDEs I ever used, and the only IDE I use to develop AOO.

I only used Visual Studio a little, and it seemed very good at the .NET
languages, but poor at C++. What does Visual Studio do, that Eclipse CDT
doesn't?

Damjan

Re: Eclipse vs other IDEs (was: Re: Ide for Open Office (was Building OO))

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Long time ago, most IDE faild with the size of the OO Code. I also know,
that XCode failed. But I think, Time has changed. We have more RAM now. In
NetBeans you have probably to extend the RAM in the JVM. I never tryed it.
but I think I will. It will be interesting for testing. And if something
fail we have the direct connection to the NetBeans Community. (I
monitoring this project since the start in the Incubator)

Regards, Raphael

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

>> I agree. The wiki did say they managed to open all of AOO in one
>Eclipse
>> project, but it took a lot of memory. I must try it some time.
>>

>​You can open AOO in ONE Eclipse project but it does take a lot of
>physical
>memory. And you need to up the memory for your Java considerably.
>
>I don't know what the situation is now. I actually did a build from
>Eclipse
>but not with all the options used for a distribution, but I did a
>customized "make" statement using the "build" command. I was just
>trying
>this out and ended up abandoning it due to memory lockups.
>
>Are you building trunk now with GCC? That might work better.
We are moving to gmake instead of snake with build Perl script.

I guess that what you mean by referring gcc. :)
I have used GCC to build open office back in my gentoo days.

Re: Eclipse vs other IDEs (was: Re: Ide for Open Office (was Building OO))

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

​

> The small perk is, that you can already navigate between separate module
> projects. For example I have connectivity and comphelper modules open as
> separate Eclipse projects, and when I Ctrl+click on a call like
> comphelper.disposeComponent() in a connectivity file, it opens the relevant
> definition in the comphelper project's file.
>

> > There is sadly no real alternative to eclipse today. I think intelliJ is
> > more stable and bit less resource hungry IDE. But they disqualified
> > themself since no c++ Multilanguage support.
> >

> Eclipse's multi-language support isn't fantastic either. I had to create a
> separate Java project and then link in the Java files from the AOO module
> to it (eg. AOO-connectivity for C++ and AOO-connectivity-java for Java).
> IIRC Java files don't have their dependencies set, and can't be set since
> the project is seen as C++. The real problem may be that neither dmake nor
> gbuild do Java building using a common build tool (Ant, Maven, etc.), and
> IDEs can't parse their hacked makefiles. I am not sure how to fix that.
>

> > Am 19. Juli 2017 08:41:27 MESZ schrieb ckalyanii@gmail.com:
> > >I have extensively used visual studio for 5+ years as a pure C++
> > >developers. Even Eclipse is quite good and used it in my earlier
> > >android programming days although I find eclipse slower than visual
> > >studio. But I think both of them are excellent IDE and one can use any
> > >one of them.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Kalyani
> > >
> > >Sent from my iPhone

> > >the

> > >.NET
> > >CDT

> > >think we
> > >very
> > >C/C++
> > >creator

> > >today. I am
> > >progress.

> > >helping?

MzK

"Only the truth will save you now."
                         -- Ensei Tankado, "Digital Fortress"

Re: Eclipse vs other IDEs (was: Re: Ide for Open Office (was Building OO))

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Well, I like Google for its moon shot approach.  So I tend to copy that methodology.

I do have similar ambitious goals for Open Office. I am curious how far I get. Hope I get a lot of support for the ideas, including more ideas. :-D

I am frightend at the same time. :P

>the project is seen as C++. The real problem may be that neither dmake
>nor
>gbuild do Java building using a common build tool (Ant, Maven, etc.),
>and
>IDEs can't parse their hacked makefiles. I am not sure how to fix that.
I wonder why we do not extend ANT to build the c++ code. It should be possible to write an extension. And imho the coolest idea.

The next best idea is to extend the CDT parser in this direction. I don't care if it is difficult or not as long as the goal is a benefit. We do this for fun, yes?!

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Damian,

Posted by ck...@gmail.com.