Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Nihal Harish <ni...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/09 19:16:41 UTC

Fwd: Understanding offers

Hello,

To gain a better understanding of offers made to a framework I ran the
following experiment:

I made a simple framework that accepted and rejected offers based on
hostname.
The number of offers sent to the framework by the master changes based on
the choices made made by framework for previous  resource Offer.

How is the number of offers sent to the framework by the master determined?
And is there possibility of tweaking this?

Regards,
Nihal

Re: Understanding offers

Posted by Greg Mann <gr...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi Nihal,
Mesos makes decisions about resource allocation for frameworks based on the
Dominant Resource Fairness (DRF) algorithm [1]. There are a couple
different ways to affect the offers provided to a particular framework: you
can assign a *quota* to the framework's role to give it a guarantee that
certain resources will be available [2], you can assign a *weight* to the
framework's role to tell the master to offer it more or less resources [3],
or you can *reserve* certain resources so that they will only be offered to
frameworks registered in a particular role [4].

Beyond this, Mesos also allows you to write a custom allocator module that
allocates resources to frameworks in any way you choose [5].

Cheers,
Greg

[1] http://static.usenix.org/events/nsdi11/tech/full_papers/Ghodsi.pdf
[2] http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/quota/