Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/01/31 16:07:26 UTC

Re: db changes?

There are tweaks to the database all the time.  Much of the this is
taken care of by the system, but there are definitely times where you
will have to step in and make manual updates to the database in order
for everything to continue working.

A lot of it depends how often you update as to how difficult it is
for you.  I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: db changes?

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Alan,

I concur with Jacopo and Tim that major changes are rare. Rarer still, if not entirely
non-existent, are changes that break your existing functionalities (eg extending or truncating
primary keys).

The OFBiz framework is such that you can easily extend many things, especially(!) the entities.
Use the "<extend-entity>" in your entitymodel.xml for this.

In short, you can do your customizations _apart_ _from_ the OFBiz codes. You can then pull down
updates from the OFBiz trunk without affecting (or at least without overwriting) your
customizations, leaving them intact through many updates from the trunk. Sorry, double emphasis
there, was afraid you'd miss that point. :P

It is possible to update from OFBiz trunk while leaving your customizations intact.

Jonathon

Re: db changes?

Posted by Alan - Ipanema Comercial <al...@ipanemacomercial.com.br>.

Re: db changes?