Posted to labs@labs.apache.org by JP Gilaberte <jp...@apache.org> on 2018/05/30 14:38:42 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Turbulence, Chaos Engineering engine for testing distributed environments based on Apache Mesos

Hi, I'd like to propose a new lab for experimenting and innovating
with new ideas. Turbulence is Chaos Engineering engine for testing
distributed environments based on Apache Mesos.
Turbulence allows:

- Test high availability cases (HA).
- Test fault tolerance cases (FT).
- Error prediction cases in the underlying technologies.
- HA benchmarks, FT capabilities regarding different distributed
architectures.
- Productive environment sizing.
- Environment behaviour understanding.

Further features/ideas:

- Metrics plugins (profiling, auto-scaling, alerts, ...)
- Security plugins (known vulnerabilities scanner, for security compliance)
- Hardware error simulation.
- Availability Zone (AZ) and Regions failure simulation.
- Whatever platform based on Linux cgroups and systemd is suitable for
Turbulence.
- DC/OS integration.
- User Interface (GUI).

     xmlns="http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#"
     xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
     xmlns:labs="http://labs.apache.org/doap-ext/1.0#"
     xmlns:projects="http://projects.apache.org/ns/asfext#">
<Project rdf:about="http://labs.apache.org/labs#turbulence">
 <name>Turbulence</name>
 <shortname>turbulence</shortname>
 <shortdesc xml:lang="en">Chaos Engineering engine for testing distributed
environments based on Apache Mesos</shortdesc>
 <description xml:lang="en">Turbulence is Chaos Engineering engine for
testing
distributed environments based on Apache Mesos.
- Test high availability cases (HA).
- Test fault tolerance cases (FT).
- Error prediction cases in the underlying technologies.
- HA benchmarks, FT capabilities regarding different distributed
architectures.
- Productive environment sizing.
- Environment behaviour understanding.</description>
 <homepage rdf:resource="http://labs.apache.org/turbulence/"/>
 <license rdf:resource="http://usefulinc.com/doap/licenses/asl20"/>
 <created>2018-5-30</created>
 <labs:status>active</labs:status>
 <maintainer>
  <foaf:Person rdf:about="
http://people.apache.org/~jpgilaberte@apache.org/#me">
   <foaf:name>Juan P. Gilaberte</foaf:name>
   <foaf:homepage rdf:resource="
http://people.apache.org/~jpgilaberte@apache.org/"/>

 <foaf:mbox_sha1sum>32057309aca01d4b10c5a6699df47b252d4a2a10</foaf:mbox_sha1sum>
  </foaf:Person>
 </maintainer>
 <repository>
  <SVNRepository>
    <location rdf:resource="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/turbulence/
"/>
    <browse rdf:resource="http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/labs/turbulence/"/>
  </SVNRepository>
 </repository>
 <programming-language>Golang</programming-language>
 <os>Linux</os>
</Project>
</rdf:RDF>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Turbulence, Chaos Engineering engine for testing distributed environments based on Apache Mesos

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Oh how exciting!
+1
D.

Posted by Javi Roman <jr...@gmail.com>.
It looks really interesting .... huge possibilities with this kind of tools.

--
Javi Roman

Twitter: @javiromanrh
GitHub: github.com/javiroman
Linkedin: es.linkedin.com/in/javiroman
Big Data Blog: dataintensive.info
Apache Id: javiroman

Posted by Peter Firmstone <pe...@zeus.net.au>.
+1 Peter.

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
+1

> On May 30, 2018, at 4:38 AM, JP Gilaberte <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'd like to propose a new lab for experimenting and innovating
> with new ideas. Turbulence is Chaos Engineering engine for testing
> distributed environments based on Apache Mesos.
…

PGP FP: BCD1 6D2C 8906 C48A 540E  253E 94D3 36A3 6D15 930A