Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Isabelle LOYER <i....@intersystemes.fr> on 2021/06/11 10:27:08 UTC

IDE to upgrade an AIR project

Hello Flex community,

I need to choose a new IDE to convert an Air App from Flash Builder 4.6.

 From your experience what is the best choose and why :

  * Moonshine IDE,
  * VS Code with AS3Mxml add-on,
  * Orther.

I need to compile Air app on Mac OS (Mac OS 11) and Windows.

I need to work with a team on this projet (SVN).

Thanks for helping.

Regards.

Re: IDE to upgrade an AIR project

Posted by Paul Stearns <pa...@compuace.com.INVALID>.
One thing no other IDE has developed, which is why we still use Flashbuilder 4.6, is a GUI development environment similar to design mode of Flash/Flexbuilder.

Yes FlashBuilder has lots of bugs that drive us crazy, but the ability to design screens with more or less pixel perfection is very useful in the applications we develop.

If/when someone develops a product with design mode and more stability we will probably switch.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Our team is using IntelliJ for AIR/Flex development since 4 years now and we
are really happy with it. Its fast, reliable and offers a bunch of useful
features. Haven't worked with Moonshine or VSCode yet but heard they are
also quite good.
I would think the bigger and more complex your project is, the more would
IntelliJ be the right choice.

-----
Jan F. Weber,
AIR/Flex Developer @ SeMSy 5 Front-End Team, Dallmeier electronic (www.dallmeier.com)

Re: IDE to upgrade an AIR project

Posted by After24 <vi...@after24.net>.
Hello,

I don't know about Moonshine, I use VS code for C++ not actionScript but
this editor is quite nice to work with and my understanding is that Josh
Tynjala as3 extension works great.

Regarding Flex work, I switched from Flash Builder to Intellij 3 years ago
and my experience with this IDE is perfect : it's very fast and stable.

Vincent.

Re: IDE to upgrade an AIR project

Posted by hn...@vservu.de.
Hi Isabelle,

I suggest you have a closer look to IntelliJ IDEA:
https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/#section=mac
<https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/#section=mac>

Probably the free version is sufficient; at least for tests.

SVN and GIT are supported seamlessly.

I use it since years on Windows and MAC and am a happy user. Support
also is responsive and helpful.

You need the AIR SDK from Harman (v33); free if the revenue is < $50k;
but affordable otherwise). They took over the AIR framework from Adobe a
while ago.

https://airsdk.harman.com/download <https://airsdk.harman.com/download>

And for Flex you'll need the Flex framework from apache. The latest
version is from 2017, but still working without issues. You might have
it already anyhow:

http://flex.apache.org/download-source.html
<http://flex.apache.org/download-source.html>

Good luck!
Regards

Hans

--

*VservU GmbH / MegaZine3*
CEO: Hans J Nücke

Gorch-Fock-Str. 6  •  81827 Munich  •  Germany

tel: +49 (89) 43906 707     mobile:  +49 (179) 438 3271
email: info@megazine3.de    website: https://megazine3.de

München HRB 181251          USt-Id:  DE266694113

RE: IDE to upgrade an AIR project

Posted by aj...@nb.sympatico.ca.
I recently moved from FB 4.7 to INTELLIJ IDEA Ultimate.

So far, it is excellent and I would highly recommend it.  Try out their 30 day trail.