Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/31 01:58:46 UTC

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

I have the same experience. Wondering what's causing this? One thing I
noticed is that this happens if server is idle for some time and then
load starts going high is when I start to see these messages.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Roshan <co...@gmail.com>.
It happens to me like this.

I have 2 node Cassandra cluster with one column space. No super columns.

Start server freshly (no commit logs, no SSTables, no saves caches,
basically nothing). Then write process starts (not much write load). See
what my log says:

2012-02-06 13:06:13,598 INFO  [Gossiper] InetAddress /10.1.161.68 is now UP
2012-02-06 13:06:13,598 INFO  [StorageService] Node /10.1.161.68 state jump
to normal
2012-02-06 13:06:13,601 INFO  [ColumnFamilyStore] Enqueuing flush of
Memtable-LocationInfo@403316091(35/43 serialized/live bytes, 1 ops)
2012-02-06 13:06:13,601 INFO  [Memtable] Writing
Memtable-LocationInfo@403316091(35/43 serialized/live bytes, 1 ops)
2012-02-06 13:06:13,603 INFO  [CassandraDaemon] Listening for thrift
clients...
2012-02-06 13:06:13,714 INFO  [Memtable] Completed flushing
/data/cassandradb/data/system/LocationInfo-hc-64-Data.db (89 bytes)
2012-02-06 13:06:58,985 INFO  [HintedHandOffManager] Started hinted handoff
for token: 113427455640312814857969558651062452224 with IP: /10.1.161.63
2012-02-06 13:06:58,986 INFO  [HintedHandOffManager] Finished hinted handoff
of 0 rows to endpoint /10.1.161.63
2012-02-06 13:07:26,324 INFO  [HintedHandOffManager] Started hinted handoff
for token: 56713727820156407428984779325531226112 with IP: /10.1.161.68
2012-02-06 13:07:26,325 INFO  [HintedHandOffManager] Finished hinted handoff
of 0 rows to endpoint /10.1.161.68
111111111112012-02-06 14:06:13,083 INFO  [AutoSavingCache] Saved
WhispirCache-WhispirStandard-KeyCache (186 items) in 28 ms
11112012-02-06 14:24:45,579 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum
of 1.0 instead of 0.13675048407845158
2012-02-06 14:24:45,581 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 137ms for 57 columns
2012-02-06 14:24:48,016 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum of
1.0 instead of 0.10823538589289985
2012-02-06 14:24:48,016 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 46ms for 119 columns
2012-02-06 14:24:52,279 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum of
1.0 instead of 0.11414583341420956
2012-02-06 14:24:52,279 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 78ms for 233 columns
2012-02-06 14:24:58,808 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum of
1.0 instead of 0.12002818405606677
2012-02-06 14:24:58,808 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 24ms for 490 columns
2012-02-06 14:25:08,477 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum of
1.0 instead of 0.12033609444170106
2012-02-06 14:25:08,477 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 75ms for 1001 columns
12012-02-06 14:28:28,284 WARN  [Memtable] setting live ratio to minimum of
1.0 instead of 0.11954297494496129
2012-02-06 14:28:28,284 INFO  [Memtable] CFS(Keyspace='WhispirCache',
ColumnFamily='WhispirStandard') liveRatio is 1.0 (just-counted was 1.0).
calculation took 69ms for 1544 columns

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should come up with a way to reproduce so we can fix it. :)

This happens when server is idle for a while with not so much data and
then you start a load like 50 write and 50 read requests per sec. We
have 4 CF that we write to and then read from.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.
Dne 3.2.2012 17:46, Jonathan Ellis napsal(a):
> You should come up with a way to reproduce so we can fix it. :)
it happens after HH delivery when memtable contains lot of deletes

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Roshan <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the explanation.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.

RE: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Dan Hendry <da...@gmail.com>.
http://thelastpickle.com/2011/05/04/How-are-Memtables-measured/ - Gives some
background information (specific to 0.8 but still valid for 1.0 I believe).
Not quite sure why a warning message is logged but a ration of < 1 may occur
for column families with  a very high update to insert ratio.

Dan

Exactly, I am also getting this when server moving idle to high load. May be
Cassandra Experts can help to us.

14:34:00

Re: WARN [Memtable] live ratio

Posted by Roshan <co...@gmail.com>.