Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net> on 2010/01/04 22:15:49 UTC

SEO and duplicate content due to language prefix

The webapp I'm currently working on supports two languages and the user can
choose the preferred language from a menu. By default Tapestry shows pages
based on browser language settings. If the user selects a different
language, then URLs become prefixed with /en/ or /es/.

According to SEO people that are involved in this project that behavior
creates an issue. They say search engines will detect duplicate content and
punish that. Their suggestion is:

- hide the /es/ path via robots.txt
- use the new canonical tag to have each page tell the search engine the URL
without /en/
- make sure that all links from one page to another should not include the
/en/ but rather refer to the base version

What experiences have others made with Tapestry in a SEO context?

Do you think it is necessary and can be done to have intra-page links - and
probably those for component events as well - go to /url instead of /en/url?

Stephan

-----
--
http://www.caimito.net - Caimito One Team - Agile Collaboration and Planning
tool

Re: SEO and duplicate content due to language prefix

Posted by Christian Riedel <ch...@gmx.net>.
yes, of course! the default language is available under '/' and '/en'
(assuming it defaults to 'en'). google is checking every language, so
I'd rather use the canonical tag.

Posted by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>.

Niclas.Meier wrote:

> Have you considered using the:
>
> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html"></link>
>
> Mechanism? Google had a nice post on their webmaster central blog
> (http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html).
>
> We had quite similar problems with Tapestry, our CMS and Google - in a
> silghtly different setup -  but using the canonical hint for the search
> engine solved most of the problems.

Niclas,

to me it appears as well that the new canonical tag should solve the issue.
We are going to try that and we may find that it works for us as well as it
did for you.

Thanks for sharing the observation.

Stephan

-----

Posted by "Joost Schouten (ml)" <jo...@jsportal.com>.
Thank you Niclas,

Sounds a lot better than redirecting.

Cheers,
Joost

Niclas.Meier@scoyo.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html"></link>
>
> Mechanism? Google had a nice post on their webmaster central blog (http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html).
>
> We had quite similar problems with Tapestry, our CMS and Google - in a silghtly different setup -  but using the canonical hint for the search engine solved most of the problems.
>
> Regards,
> Niclas
>
> On 06.01.10 09:02, "Joost Schouten (ml)" <jo...@jsportal.com> wrote:
>
> I have solved most of this problem by adding a request filter [1] that
> sets the PersistentLocale on every request and thus adding the locale to
> every url throughout the application. Though /url and /en/url still have
> duplicate content, nothing in my app links to /url anymore so google
> won't index it.
>
> The only duplicate content left is on / and /en/start. But I'll solve
> that with a redirect I think, or maybe, make sure that all links in my
> app to the home page go to / in stead of /locale/Start
>
> Cheers,
> Joost
>

> [1]
> public RequestFilter buildLocaleFilter(
>             @InjectService("PersistentLocale") final PersistentLocale
> persistantLocale,
>             @InjectService("ThreadLocale") final ThreadLocale
> threadLocale) {
>
>         return new RequestFilter() {
>
>             public boolean service(Request request, Response response,
>                     RequestHandler handler) throws IOException {
>
>                 persistantLocale.set(threadLocale.getLocale());
>                 return handler.service(request, response);
>             }
>
>         };
>     }
>
> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>> Maybe my intention is that you would supply your own mechanism by
>> rewriting URLs, but still ...
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Seems like a bug to me that if you turn ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH off,
>>> it doesn't then substitute some other approach (like a cookie from
>>> 5.0, or a query parameter).

>>> --
>>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>>
>>> Creator of Apache Tapestry
>>>
>>> The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
>>> learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
>>>
>>> (971) 678-5210
>>> http://howardlewisship.com

> Niclas Meier
>
> Head of Client Development
> IT Development
>

> scoyo GmbH | Stresemannstr. 163 | 22769 Hamburg | Germany
> Phone: +49 (0)40 2294818-719 | Fax: +49 (0)40 2294818-11
> niclas.meier@scoyo.com
>

> Sitz Hamburg | Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 100969
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Ralf Schremper
>
> www.scoyo.de  | http://blog.scoyo.de/
>
> Follow scoyo on twitter: http://twitter.com/scoyo

Re: SEO and duplicate content due to language prefix

Posted by Ni...@scoyo.com.
Hello Joost,

Posted by "Joost Schouten (ml)" <jo...@jsportal.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: SEO and duplicate content due to language prefix

Posted by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>.

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> Seems like a bug to me that if you turn ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH off,
> it doesn't then substitute some other approach (like a cookie from
> 5.0, or a query parameter).

I'm trying to add that other approach. So far I've added a link creation
listener via the LinkCreationHub as stated by the JavaDoc for
ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH. That gets called, if ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH is set
to false and the locale encoding now appears as a query parameter
(eventually I want to use cookies but query parameter is more visible for
the moment).

I see a number of @Inject Locale in different places. However I could not
yet figure out how to let Tapestry know what the new locale is.

In ComponentEventLinkEncoderImpl.decodePageRenderRequest() I see that the
locale is taken from the URL and then it gets set via the
LocalizationSetter. I don't see how I can intercept that and take the Local
from my way of preserving it.

-----

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:33:46 -0200, Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>
> escreveu:
>
>> Thiago,
>
> Hi!
>
>> I tried that but now I cannot switch languages any more. By switching I
>> mean through a component that sets the PersistentLocale.
>
> I've never tested disabling the locale encoded into path myself.
>
>> After setting SymbolConstants.ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH to false the locale
>> doesn't get encoded in the path anymore and apparently that is some kind
>> of a requirement for the PersistentLocale thing to work.
>> Might that be a bug? I've created TAP5-972.
>
> I guess it isn't a bug because it's exactly how it works. I would try to
> override the PersistentLocale service with an implementation that uses
> cookies, just as it was before 5.1
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and
> instructor
> Owner, software architect and developer, Ars Machina Tecnologia da
> Informação Ltda.
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: SEO and duplicate content due to language prefix

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>.

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

>> Do you think it is necessary and can be done to have intra-page links -
>> and probably those for component events as well - go to /url instead of
>> /en/url?
>
> You can disable the locale prefix by setting the
> SymbolConstants.ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH symbol to false.

Thiago,

I tried that but now I cannot switch languages any more. By switching I mean
through a component that sets the PersistentLocale.

Recognition of the browser language works fine and the content appears in
the right language.

Before setting SymbolConstants.ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH to false I had the
following behavior:

- browser language gets detected and content appears in the right language
using URLs without encoding of the locale in the path
- when setting PersistentLocale the locale encoding in the path happened

Posted by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>.

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

>> According to SEO people that are involved in this project that behavior
>> creates an issue. They say search engines will detect duplicate content
>> and punish that. Their suggestion is:
>
> If all content is translated, would your pages still be considered
> duplicated?

/url and /en/url would be considered to be duplicate.

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

>> Do you think it is necessary and can be done to have intra-page links -
>> and probably those for component events as well - go to /url instead of
>> /en/url?
>
> You can disable the locale prefix by setting the
> SymbolConstants.ENCODE_LOCALE_INTO_PATH symbol to false.

That seems to avoid the problem altogether. Where is that documented?

Thanks for that.

Stephan

-----

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.