Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> on 2008/01/02 12:04:34 UTC

Re: Updating our web-site with info in dev section on how-to-do-a-release

Marshall Schor wrote:
> It would be great if the past and present release managers could add a
> page to our web-site under the developers area, describing how to do a
> release.
>
> We have some parts, already - like how to sign a release.
>
> What's missing are all the other steps a release manager does, such as
> 1) making the release notes from the Jira reporting
> 2) how to find the current level of RAT, how to run RAT, what to do with
> the reports (how to annotate them), etc.
>   -- by the way, can RAT be run in a mode that only shows differences
> with the previous release?  This might be helpful to anyone reviewing
> the release...
>
> 3) how to do the vote
>
> 4) After the vote passes, what to do, including: base release, docs
> update, archiving older ones, where the release "goes", what to do with
> the Eclipse update site, etc.
>
> I'm sure there are parts I've omitted - so I would suggest that we get a
> web page started which we can incrementally update and improve.
>
> Do others agree?
>
> -Marshall

I opened a JIRA issue (UIMA-684) for that and added a first draft
(release.xml) where everyone can work on.
I added some sections to the document that came to my mind and added the
topics mentioned above.
So everyone feel free to add content (I started already).

-- Michael

Re: Updating our web-site with info in dev section on how-to-do-a-release

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Michael Baessler wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> It would be great if the past and present release managers could add a
>> page to our web-site under the developers area, describing how to do a
>> release.
>>
>> We have some parts, already - like how to sign a release.
>>
>> What's missing are all the other steps a release manager does, such as
>> 1) making the release notes from the Jira reporting
>> 2) how to find the current level of RAT, how to run RAT, what to do with
>> the reports (how to annotate them), etc.
>>   -- by the way, can RAT be run in a mode that only shows differences
>> with the previous release?  This might be helpful to anyone reviewing
>> the release...
>>
>> 3) how to do the vote
>>
>> 4) After the vote passes, what to do, including: base release, docs
>> update, archiving older ones, where the release "goes", what to do with
>> the Eclipse update site, etc.
>>
>> I'm sure there are parts I've omitted - so I would suggest that we get a
>> web page started which we can incrementally update and improve.
>>
>> Do others agree?
>>
>> -Marshall
>>

> I opened a JIRA issue (UIMA-684) for that and added a first draft
> (release.xml) where everyone can work on.
> I added some sections to the document that came to my mind and added
> the topics mentioned above.
> So everyone feel free to add content (I started already).
>
> -- Michael
I added most of the information I think, can anyone else check and
update the missing parts?

-- Michael