Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Narasimhan, Shyamala" <Sh...@Agilquest.com> on 2001/07/04 15:21:16 UTC

specifying multiple forms in an action mapping

hi

i would like to use two different forms in an action class... kindly advise
as to how to specify the action mapping

thanks

shyamala.

Re: specifying multiple forms in an action mapping

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.
If what you want is to have one Action class that can handle input from
multiple forms, then you just need to add a different action mapping in
struts-config.xml for each input form, giving each a distinct path. In the
Action itself, you would need to check to see which kind of form (or which
path) you were being invoked with.

For example:

<action path="/path1" name="form1" type="com.mycompany.MyAction"/>
<action path="/path2" name="form2" type="com.mycompany.MyAction"/>

would allow you to process requests for '/path1' or '/path2' with the same
Action class.

Hope this helps.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Radio Button Example using boolean?

Posted by suhas <su...@techmas.hcltech.com>.
Do something like this
in strtus-config.xml file -

  <!-- Do nut -->
  <action path="/donut"
     type="example.DoNutAction"
     name="doNutForm">
   <forward name="success"  path="/donut.jsp"/>
  </action>

In the donut.jsp -
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld" prefix="logic" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>
 <bean:message key="yes" />
 <bean:message key="no" />
<bean:message key="button.submit" />

In the DoNutForm.java

package example;
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
public class DoNutForm extends ActionForm {
 private boolean donut;
 public DoNutForm() {
 }
 public void reset(ActionMapping mapping , HttpServletRequest req) {
  donut = true;
 }
 public void setDonut(boolean  donut) {
  System.out.println(" **in the setter donut** "+ donut);
  this.donut  = donut ;
 }
 public boolean getDonut() {
  System.out.println(" in the getter" + donut);
  return donut;
 }
}

In the DoNutAction.java
public final class DoNutAction extends Action {
   public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping,
                               ActionForm form,
                               HttpServletRequest request,
                               HttpServletResponse response)
   throws IOException, ServletException {
  return mapping.findForward("success");

 }
}

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The short answer is you can't.

Though, you could create a single ActionForm as a wrapper around other
forms and then access them through the infamous "dotted" syntax.

If that doesn't work for you, if you talked a bit more about why you
want multiple forms, someone may have a better answer ;-)

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Posted by "Grassotti, Michael" <mi...@tallan.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Narasimhan, Shyamala wrote:

> hi
>
> i would like to use two different forms in an action class... kindly advise
> as to how to specify the action mapping

Although it is not possible to have >1 form beans per action *mapping*, it
is definitely possible to have >1 form beans per action *class*.  You
simply have to have more than one mapping that resolves to the same Action
class name.

Note that, in this scenario, Struts will still create a separate instance
of the Action class per mapping.  Therefore, if you want to share data
between them, you'll need to use static variables, or some other
equivalent technique.

> thanks
>
> shyamala.

Craig McClanahan