Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Chris Nelson <cn...@einnovation.com> on 2001/11/02 01:41:03 UTC

Ant + SOAP = Rant

After needing such a thing for awhile, I have started developing a
distributed version of Ant that uses SOAP to lauch Ant builds on remote
hosts.  I've worked with Apache SOAP a good bit, so that is what I am
using.  After an afternoon of work I have the following:

*  A SOAP service which takes 2 arguments (buildFile, target)
*  a taskdef which invokes this service over SOAP

It seems like with just a bit more work I can produce something pretty
useful (at least to me).  I am guessing that this would be outside the
scope of Ant itself (but chime in if you think otherwise).  I have been
thinking of this as a new project, which I have dubbed "Rant" which is
short for remote ant.

My questions are:
Is this useful to others?
Does this duplicate an existing project?
Would Apache be interested in hosting it?
If not, could it be linked to from the Ant website?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, I will post what I have
here as soon as I have enough to feel like its worth sharing.  Any
comments/suggestions are welcome.

--Chris

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Gautam Guliani <ga...@grassroots-tech.com>.
I'd be interested in helping out with this as well.
--
Gautam

At 12:04 PM 11/2/2001 -0800, josh lucas writes:
 >I think that support for XML-RPC as well as SOAP would be cool.  I would
 >be more than willing to help out with that part if needed.
 >

 >josh
 >
 >Chris Nelson wrote:
 >>
 >> After needing such a thing for awhile, I have started developing a
 >> distributed version of Ant that uses SOAP to lauch Ant builds on remote
 >> hosts.  I've worked with Apache SOAP a good bit, so that is what I am
 >> using.  After an afternoon of work I have the following:
 >>
 >> *  A SOAP service which takes 2 arguments (buildFile, target)
 >> *  a taskdef which invokes this service over SOAP
 >>
 >> It seems like with just a bit more work I can produce something pretty
 >> useful (at least to me).  I am guessing that this would be outside the
 >> scope of Ant itself (but chime in if you think otherwise).  I have been
 >> thinking of this as a new project, which I have dubbed "Rant" which is
 >> short for remote ant.
 >>
 >> My questions are:
 >> Is this useful to others?
 >> Does this duplicate an existing project?
 >> Would Apache be interested in hosting it?
 >> If not, could it be linked to from the Ant website?
 >>
 >> Regardless of the answers to these questions, I will post what I have
 >> here as soon as I have enough to feel like its worth sharing.  Any
 >> comments/suggestions are welcome.
 >>
 >> --Chris
 >>
 >> --

Gautam Guliani    Cell: 917.334.1304   Office: 646.375.2036
Partner, Grassroots Technologies, Inc.  http://www.grassroots-tech.com/

         -- Ferenc Mantfeld

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by josh lucas <jo...@stonecottage.com>.

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Cactus is an in-container JUnit testing framework.  While Rant is awesome,
Cactus isn't the right place for it.  It seems to me that good ol' ant-dev
is the right place for it.

    Erik

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Chris Nelson <cn...@einnovation.com>.
Cactus is a very useful project indeed -- it allows you to run Junit
test cases inside an appserver.  Its kind of a client-server Junit.  I
don't really think there is much overlap with this tho.

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Phil Surette <ph...@home.com>.
This would be useful to me.

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_...@yahoo.com>.

Jose Alberto

Re: doclet for ant

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
no, not yet.

One would be nice, presumably one that hooks off xdoclet.sourceforget.net,
so that you hava an ant task go from java source to an xml docfile (and then
anakia it into shape), or into an task declaration for incorporation into
the (presumably) forthcoming xml based task descriptors

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 02 Nov 2001, detlef brendle <de...@canoo.com> wrote:

> is there an An-Doclet to generat such info? (Antlet?)

Nothing I was aware of - we once had somebody working on an DTD for
task documentations and a doclet that would generate XML descriptions
from sources, but I guess this one has died by now.

Stefan

doclet for ant

Posted by de...@canoo.com.

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_...@yahoo.com>.
Although I see no problem on hosting this tasks here, this is a good example of an ANT library that could be shipped as part of the Apache SOAP project. After all, you need a full SOAP installation in order to run this.

It would make a good precedent if we settle on a packaging format and other projects can start putting their antlibs out.

Jose Alberto

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 01 Nov 2001, Chris Nelson <cn...@einnovation.com> wrote:

> Is this useful to others?

Yes.

Re: Ant + SOAP = Rant

Posted by jp Morgan <jp...@yahoo.com>.
Very interesting. Would love to learn more and get
involved.