Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <Cr...@sun.com> on 2005/03/20 00:25:57 UTC

DTD files

Team,

As I was checking in the dtd files for jdo2 (jdo.dtd and orm.dtd) I had
to think again about where we should put the official PUBLIC dtd files.
For JDO 1, it was clear that the site should be Sun. For JDO 2, I
believe that the answer still should be Sun, because the JCP officially
owns the IP to the dtd (and xml schema once we have that in place).

Does anyone think that we should change the official web location to
some other place like the Apache web site?

Brian,

The dtd files I checked in reflect the latest JDO specification draft.
I understand you're interested in converting these to .xsd. The last
time I saw an xsd for jdo was when Robin Roos made one for an earlier
draft. He might be able to help get you started with the task.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: DTD files

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
Craig Russell wrote:

> So far, we have not had a need to make the jdo and orm doctypes more
> expressive than we can accomplish using DTD. In other words, there's
> no technical reason to drive toward xsd.

I guess I should also add that I wrote a tool for Dentaku a few months
back that parses XSD and creates tagged values in XMI for the schema.
This makes MDA very easy.  http://www.dentaku.org/Cartridge+Generator
describes this tool if anyone is interested.

Thus, the motivation behind having XSD as the normative spec is that any
tool like this tends to expose weaknesses in the metadata for projects,
and having to correct a DTD in a way that the machine translation of it
will be correct is a bit obtuse.  Is this something that we care about?
If not, that's okay, but developer automation is inevitable and DTD is
obsolete in large part because of this.  (Arguably, DTD has hung around
because tools like this haven't materialized as quickly as originally
thought.)  MOF 2.0 is already oriented toward generating XSD as a
standard artifact, for instance.

$0.02 more....

-b

Re: DTD files

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:

> I am in favor of XSD just because of all the tool support for it.
> RelaxNG doesn't have that, yet.

I'm in favor of DTD because of all the tool support you need for XSD :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: DTD files

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
I wanted to present the options as I saw them in an unbiased manner, but
I must admit to being in agreement with Brian and Matthew.  I don't have
anything against DTD, but when compared to XSD, I don't prefer it.  It
can be more complicated, but after working with it for some time now, I
actually find it a bit easier to understand.  Familiarity, I guess.

The point about tool support and "control-space" style typing completion
in tools is a big thing.  With this, you can write a well-formed and
valid document without even opening the DTD or Schema.  In IDEA Irida
(the current development version, which is quite stable), you can also
use their "quick JavaDoc" command to bring up a tooltip-like popup with
documentation for a node.  In that regard, the experience is the same,
whether you use DTD or schema.

The biggest issue for me is maintenance of the non-normative standard.
I think this ought to be a build-time artifact with a tool, not
something that the maintainers are required to maintain.  A disadvantage
of XSD is that it is not commonly translatable into other standards, but
that is because it is semantically richer and there are a few
constructions that can't be translated.  Hence, I would prefer to drop
DTD altogether, but it's true that there shouldn't *be* maintenance of
the metadata after the standard is finished, so this is arguably a moot
point.

-b

Re: DTD files

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.