Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ignacio Bolivar <ig...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/14 17:11:30 UTC

Where to add/create external mail notification?

Hello, all.

I'm in desperate need of some advice/guidance on where
to best look to implement the following feature.

When receiving inbound emails, we need to make two
checks.  First, does the recipient want a copy of all
received emails forwarded to an external address of
their choice?  _OR_  Second, does the recipient want
to _just_ receive _notification_ of said messages to
an external address of their choice?

This would be an either/or/none scenario.  If they've
external forwarding enabled, no notifications.  If
they've external notification enabled, no forwarding.
Or, just receive email and take no further action.

I've already got the forwarding scenario handled via
JDBCVirtualUserTable.  I'm using a SQL query which
checks for the existence of the user in question, and
if we've an external forwarding address on file for
them, we send a duplicate of the message in question
to that address.

I'm unclear, though, where to accomodate the
notification feature.  For the notification message,
ideally, we'd like to send out a message to their
notification address, if we've one on record, stating
that they've received an email, and include the Sender
and Subject, along with some custom verbiage to the
effect that they should go check their account.
Whether it makes sense to store the custom verbiage as
static data in the class, as an entry in a DB table,
or as XML is uncertain.  As well, does it make sense
to add this to JDBCVirtualUserTable, or create or
extend a different mailet/matcher?

Again, any guidance or assistance is muchly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Igi