Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/09 20:17:12 UTC

Where does guacd check for libjpeg-turbo?

When compiling guacamole server, what files related to libjpeg-turbo and in
what directories does it look for?

Thanks

Re: Where does guacd check for libjpeg-turbo?

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess to clarify, to this point I had been using symlinks with
> libjpeg-turbo (2.0.2 rpm, CentOS/RHEL 7.x), specifically:
>
> ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/* /usr/include/
> ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib??/* /usr/lib64/

It would be better to set CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and the system-wide linker paths
appropriately. Trying to effectively move all required files into the
existing default locations via symbolic links will be brittle. It also
seems self-defeating if you are trying to keep your build of libjpeg-turbo
separate from the system paths.

The problem is, part of the 2nd command fails, seemingly with
> /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/pkgconfig/ and /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ (cannot
> overwrite directory).
>
> Despite the failure Guacamole still works seemingly without issue.

Guacamole is still building because pkgconfig is not used by the Guacamole
build for libjpeg. What you're doing here may break other builds that do
use pkgconfig, though. I don't recommend doing this. See above.

> This made me question, what exactly I need to symlink to for it function
> properly. Do I just need to adjust the second command not to fail/attempt
> the /pkgconfig portion or am I symlinking too much?

You are symlinking too much. It would be better to configure your system
such that it can find things where they are actually installed.

I have tried adding addition switches to the ln command and nothing has
> prevented the error. For now I have my error handler skip this command
> using
> "|| true" at the end but want to verify that I am handling libjpeg-turbo
> correctly. Documentation on its setup with Guac is next to non-existent.

On the setup of what? The Guacamole build covers the Guacamole build, and
that should be pretty thorough. With respect to the Guacamole build vs.
dependencies of that build, it's not within the scope of some project X to
cover the specifics of building another project Y.

If you need documentation covering building libjpeg-turbo on a platform
that lacks it, libjpeg-turbo would be the place to turn for that. If you
need documentation covering installing libraries and header files, I
suggest looking over the environment variables and options used by your
system's linker and compiler. We don't document how the build locates
libraries because it doesn't - it's the existing components of your system
that locate these.

- Mike

Re: Where does guacd check for libjpeg-turbo?

Posted by Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com>.
I guess to clarify, to this point I had been using symlinks with
libjpeg-turbo (2.0.2 rpm, CentOS/RHEL 7.x), specifically:

ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/* /usr/include/
ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib??/* /usr/lib64/

The problem is, part of the 2nd command fails, seemingly with
/opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/pkgconfig/ and /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ (cannot
overwrite directory).

Despite the failure Guacamole still works seemingly without issue.

This made me question, what exactly I need to symlink to for it function
properly. Do I just need to adjust the second command not to fail/attempt
the /pkgconfig portion or am I symlinking too much?

I have tried adding addition switches to the ln command and nothing has
prevented the error. For now I have my error handler skip this command using
"|| true" at the end but want to verify that I am handling libjpeg-turbo
correctly. Documentation on its setup with Guac is next to non-existent. The
version included with the CentOS repo is also ancient, something like
version 1.2.x or something so I want to avoid that.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When compiling guacamole server, what files related to libjpeg-turbo and in
> what directories does it look for?

It doesn't. It checks for libjpeg and its header files, which libjpeg-turbo
provides its own version of (as it is a drop-in replacement for libjpeg).

As for which directories, the build doesn't do that either. The build
relies on the system's linker and compiler, and thus uses the system's
default search paths for libraries and headers. You would override this
behavior by setting environment variables to alter the behavior of your
system's linker or compiler.

- Mike