Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Scott." <Sc...@anglolimited.com> on 2007/10/18 23:56:49 UTC

Shopping Feeds

We run a retail B2C business and advertise a fair bit in comparison shopping
engines.

Has anyone ever put together anything to manage shopping feeds? The
information needed in these feeds would be based on the engines format and
will change from feed to feed. They are the type of things that need to be
updated daily and uploaded to shopping engines ftp sites using various
rules, user names and passwords or by being placed our server for the
engines to download from us.

Is anyone using ofbiz to create this kind of thing? Is there any interest in
something like this?

Re: Shopping Feeds

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
basically a java service would have to produce the xml the feed needs
then store it so an URL can access it in ofbiz
or you give an FTP to where to put the xml.
then set the service to run every day.

Scott. sent the following on 10/18/2007 2:56 PM:

Re: Shopping Feeds

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Scott here is a more detailed way.
https://localhost:8443/catalog/control/EditProductStoreEmails?productStoreId=9000
as the format type for the user.
this would be an entity
as each feed is designed, it is given a place on this list like the emails.
You have a place for template that generates the data for the feed.
flag that would set if the date is pushed to a site
a place for the URL of the push.
and a URL that is set for the pull from the feed location.
If a push then the time to push.
the service for this would read this list and perform the tasks necessary.

Always open to other ideas.

Scott. sent the following on 10/20/2007 7:48 AM:
> [...]
> types and location to upload or download for that matter. Any serious B2C
> will need them at some point.
>
> If anyone else would consider collaborating on this, I'd be happy to throw
> $500 in the kitty to kick the ball off.
>

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> My preference  is to do something like the product store emails.
>> were you can put in the variables and point to a template that generates
>> the output.
>> This is what i am moving to from the service implementation
>>
>> my second option is to use the standard outputs as a service.
>> no user intervention.
>> the user can be told where the output is on a page.
>> if you read the feeds you will see that the assigning of where to get
>> the feed from ofbiz is done at the feeds themselves.
>>

>> Scott. sent the following on 10/19/2007 1:17 PM:
>>> Thanks for the reply guys. Here is the way I see it happening
>>>
>>> This is the way I see it happening.
>>>
>>> Open the Data Feed Page. First Choice is to create a name for the data
>>> feed.
>>> Let’s use MSN Shopping as an example.
>>>
>>> So we create the name MSN shopping and then we have a whole bunch of
>>> dropdowns that relate to fields in the database. So, using the example
>>> below, we choose from the dropdowns the corresponding fields in our
>>> database. For this particular feed it would be like this;
>>>
>>> OFBiz Database Name              Shopping Feed Name
>>> Friendly
>>> Name in Database
>>> Poduct.productName               Product Name
>>> Widget
>>> Product.description                 Product Description
>>> Nice Blue Widget
>>> Product.manufacturerPartyId    Manufacturer Name                   My
>>> Company, Sony, Apple (Different than Vendor)
>>> External                                MSN Categorization
>>> Widget Category
>>> Product.productId                   MPN/UPC/ISBN/UniqueCode
>>> 123456
>>> Serial Number or Item Number
>>> ProductPrice.Price                    Price
>>> $100 (Selling Price)
>>> Product.detailScreen                 Product URL
>>> ...8080/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=WIDGETS/~product_id=123456
>>> Prodct.detailImageUrl                Image URL
>>> …/images/Widgets/Blue_Widget.jpg
>>> Inventoryitem.QuantityOnHand   Stock Availability
>>> Yes
>>> or No
>>> Product.ChargeShipping            Shipping Costs
>>> $10, Free, Already set in OFBiz
>>> ProductKeyword.keyword          Keywords
>>> Auto Created Keywords already created in catalog manager
>>>
>>> Once we have mapped the database to the filed requirements we would need
>>> determine the output format and also assign a tracking code and perhaps a
>>> data source for tracking purposes. That would be appended to the url. In
>>> this case it would be a csv file but I guess XML, etc would also be good
>>> have. Then we would choose where to place the file, enter the file name

Re: Google and eBay integration WAS: Re: Shopping Feeds

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
Objet : Google and eBay integration WAS: Re: Shopping Feeds

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > De : "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> >
> > Scott,
> >
> > There are a few such integrations around. I know, for example, some
> > have been done with amazon and shop.com at least. There is an ebay
> > integration in place in OFBiz (kind of spread around, though I think
> > it should be moved to it's own component and special app as it is
> > kind of funny to have buttons that say "eBay" in the ofbiz order
> > manager).
> >
> > +1 : Yes, if the person who did is reading, please move it away from order, thanks
> >
> > Jacques
>
> Who the hell was he? :-)
> I've created two Jira issues (OFBIZ-1358, OFBIZ-1359), and assigned to
> me, to move the Google and eBay integration into two specialpurpose
> components:
> "google" and "ebay" are good names?

Maybe with more suggesting names. THoug ebay sounds clear but Google alone sounds ambiguous (Google offers a lot of services)

> I'll work on these tasks asap.
>
> Should we then merge the googleCheckout component?

I don't know much about them, but sounds like logical.(if it's possible to do so)

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Re: Shopping Feeds

Re: Shopping Feeds

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I guess there are two terms for shopping feeds.
The one I was thinking of is like what scott describe and froggle.
These are where you products are advertised on other search engines,
then I directed to your store.

David E Jones sent the following on 10/20/2007 10:07 AM:

Re: Shopping Feeds

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Scott,

Re: Shopping Feeds