Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/19 20:31:23 UTC

keep stable, stable

I hate to bring this up, as I don't like being a curmudgeon, but
occasionally I see things like this and I wonder why we are doing it.

commit 6e3c6e82990cafdab8453ed56530dc619ba70338

Date:   Tue Jun 9 23:57:00 2015 +0200

    CLOUDSTACK-8537 refactor registerSSHKeyPair() for legibility and
testability reasons

Why are we touching 4.5 branch with anything other than known bugfixes? 4.5
is our current stable release branch, I don't think any changes to it
should be taken that aren't necessary. That includes coverity
scan/findbugs, whitespace, refactoring, etc. Just my $.02

Re: keep stable, stable

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Sorry Marcus,

This commit is one of a series of three that implement
CLOUDSTACK-8537. one is the fix. one is a refactor required to test it
and one is the test. I could have only backported the fix. It was
blocking a user from implementing convergence using terraform. So if
you are saying that I should not have backported the test for it you
got a point (this one was needed for it). Otherwise we (Rohit and I)
have been guarding these branches with exactly the policy that you
propagate.

I don't mind that you are trying press this point and agree that we
should go there. I think you could have picked a worse example to make
it in fact as this commit hits a border line.

On the other hand I also think you are wrong. cherry picking fixes
from newer release branches is not what is slowing us down.
Cherry-picking untested fixes is. This code is rather trivial but
actually in my opinion the way backporting should be done to prevent
blocking releases.

Also I think that we can not make hard on this policy. We are not
going fast enough with our releases to ask it of our users. Chicken
and egg story whcih we can circumvent by automating the testing and
using that automation. I see very little people working on fixing the
load of jenkins jobs that aren't working.

--
Daan

Re: keep stable, stable

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.