Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/07/08 17:36:07 UTC

[POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Hi all,

(including general@xml.apache.org on the cc list to hopefully reach a wider
audience)

We're talking again on the Xerces j-dev mailing list about dropping support
for JDK 1.3. The reason being that current builds of the XPath 2.0
processor (Eclipse PsychoPath) used by the XML Schema 1.1 implementation
require JDK 1.4. While we do have a one-off PsychoPath jar that was built
with JDK 1.3 some time ago, in order to pick up recent bug fixes in this
library we need to refresh it with the JDK 1.4 version. This would only
impact the XML Schema 1.1 enabled release for now but at some point in the
future when XML Schema 1.1 becomes stable (both spec and impl) this would
get merged into the main line.

Given the age of JDK 1.3 and that it's generally out of service my
intuition is that this upgrade would probably be okay but wanted to check
with users on their needs. Is there anyone out there still using Xerces-J
with JDK 1.3? If you are, how long into the future will you continue to do
so, and would you be willing to migrate to JDK 1.4 (or higher) to be able
to use XML Schema 1.1?

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

RE: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
At work here, we jumped from 1.4.2 to 6 a .couple of years ago. We use Java 6 for all new products. We have older product versions that are still supported that run on 1.4.2 which we update for bug fixes. We are constantly encouraging our users to upgrade products to current versions which do require Java 6.

So you can jump to Java 6 from my POV

Gary Gregory
Senior Software Engineer
Seagull Software
email: ggregory@seagullsoftware.com

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Michael Glavassevich
<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Remember, we are just talking about upgrading to JDK 1.4 on the XML Schema
> 1.1 branch for now (since there's an actual need for it). The main stable
> release could still be built with JDK 1.3 for awhile longer.

Sorry for a little confusion with wordings in my mail. I actually
meant JDK 1.4 support for XML Schema 1.1 branch.

So + 1 for that :)

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
+1 to moving the future versions to 1.4, it sounds like it's the right
time for that now, especially with the Schema differences.  It would be
helpful to have one last release using 1.3 with a big notice on the
homepage so people are prepared.

And I agree overall with Michael about sticking with 1.4 and not jumping
ahead; Xerces is at the core of a *lot* of software, and there are
plenty of people maintaining and updating apps on older versions of
software built atop the ASF XML stack.

Thanks,
- Shane

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
I think, there's a general consensus in community and also so far in
this discussion, that JDK 1.3 support can be dropped safely for
Xerces-J.

Now it's a question of selecting a min level of 1.4 or 1.5 for Xerces-J.

I'm aware of projects, which still work with JDK 1.4 (and there are
plenty working in maintenance mode, and are adding or changing
functionality in JDK 1.4 environment). I think, it's good if we
provide support for JDK 1.4 for a while.

So I would vote for min JDK level of 1.4 at the moment, for XML Schema
1.1 support in Xerces-J :)

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think most Java projects around are still on JDK 5. So I think JDK 5 is a
> more suitable target at this point.

> Thanks,
> Hiranya

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think most Java projects around are still on JDK 5. So I think JDK 5 is a
> more suitable target at this point.

> Thanks,
> Hiranya

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think most Java projects around are still on JDK 5. So I think JDK 5 is a
> more suitable target at this point.

> Thanks,
> Hiranya

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;

Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;

RE: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Gary Gregory
Senior Software Engineer
Seagull Software
email: ggregory@seagullsoftware.com
> I have a library I develop (XMLC [1]) that depends on JDK1.3 and also depends
> on Xerces.  That said, part of the reason of depending on JDK1.3 is
> to stay in
> line with the Xerces dependency on JDK1.3.  The other reason is thatJDK1.3 is
> free and clear of any built-in XML APIs, which allows me to include exactly
> the JAXP library of my choice (xml-apis.jar) without worry of compile-time
> binding to odd invalid APIs included in 1.4 (such as some stuff meant for the
> HTML2 API that got placed in the HTML1 API DOM package namespace).  But if
> Xerces decides to move to a later version of Java, then I will probably move
> XMLC right along with it.
>
> That said, I would think that if Xerces were going to bother making a move at
> all it would move to JDK1.5 rather than bother with 1.4.  Xerces 2.10 is
> always there for 1.3 and 1.4 codebases, which should all be well into
> maintenance mode meaning few, if any, library changes.

It's often not a choice but a constraint of the environment the developer is working in, having to write a new application on top of a product stack which is stuck on one of these earlier JDK releases. JDK 1.4 isn't dead yet; still in service for some vendors, including Oracle/Sun if you're a business willing to pay for the support. Not aware of any vendors supporting JDK 1.3 anymore though.

> Moving to 1.5 would
> allow Xerces to take advantage of all the new language constructs added in
> 1.5, as well as APIs added in 1.5 (e.g., StringBuilder -vs- StringBuffer).

Right. We all talked about the benefits of moving up even higher to Java 5 and 6 before, but have been quite conservative about upgrading because of where we are in the food chain.

This seems like some harsh handcuffs for Xerces to live with. If an app is stuck on Java 1.3, is it also evolving and keeping up with Xerces versions and new XML and XML Schema standards? As argued above, you can always use Xerces 2.10, forever. Why not lose the shakles? What about getting started on Xerces 3.0 with a 6 requirement and maintain Xerces 2.x on Java 3 with critical bugs fixes only? And say "Welcome to the 21st century :)"

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Gary Gregory

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Gary Gregory

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Jake,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Jake,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Jake,

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I have a library I develop (XMLC [1]) that depends on JDK1.3 and also depends
on Xerces.  That said, part of the reason of depending on JDK1.3 is to stay in
line with the Xerces dependency on JDK1.3.  The other reason is that JDK1.3 is
free and clear of any built-in XML APIs, which allows me to include exactly
the JAXP library of my choice (xml-apis.jar) without worry of compile-time
binding to odd invalid APIs included in 1.4 (such as some stuff meant for the
HTML2 API that got placed in the HTML1 API DOM package namespace).  But if
Xerces decides to move to a later version of Java, then I will probably move
XMLC right along with it.

That said, I would think that if Xerces were going to bother making a move at
all it would move to JDK1.5 rather than bother with 1.4.  Xerces 2.10 is
always there for 1.3 and 1.4 codebases, which should all be well into
maintenance mode meaning few, if any, library changes.  Moving to 1.5 would

Posted by Dick Deneer <di...@donkeydevelopment.com>.
Hi Michael,

In the company where I work (a large international financial business
in the Netherelands) we do not use JDK 1.3 anymore. I think that it
is about 2 years ago that we migrated the old Websphere application
servers which were still using jdk 1.3. On our AIX systems 1.4.2 is
now standard. But I see that most new applications require at least
java 1.5. And in that cases you see that just another java version is
installed together with the application. So  migrating Xerces to a
newer JDK (why not 1.5) is
fine for me.

Dick Deneer
Op 8-jul-2010, om 17:36 heeft Michael Glavassevich het volgende
geschreven:

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.