Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nr...@pscinfogroup.com on 2004/02/25 18:14:27 UTC

New User Web.xml question

Windows Server 2k, Tomcat 4.1.

I'm relatively new at building web applications.  I'm ok with the
programming, I've never learned how to make a web.xml file.

I've gotten by on the invoker running all of my jsp pages.  It's now time to
do things right.  I have many books in front of me.
NetBeans The Definitive Guide
Tomcat Kick Start
Apache Tomcat Bible
Tomcat The Definitive Guide
Web Development with JavaServer Pages
CORE JSTL Mastering the JSP Standard Tag Library
CORE Servlets and JavaServer Pages

I still have no clue.  I only write jsp pages, no servlets.  I understand
that Tomcat converts this to a servlet.  I understand that this servlet is a
class.

The sample web.xml in the ROOT directory of webapps does not mention a
class, yet the index page runs.

The sample web.xml in the examples directory of webapps has lots of filter
and filter-mapping entries.  I have only a vague idea of what they do.

I have a few very simple webapps.  1 page to login, 1 page to search.  I
would like to make a web.xml file for my webapps.  Right now, whatever I try
I get a 404 error when I restart Tomcat, then I delete the web.xml I made
and everything is good again.

Can someone give me a tip.  If your webapp's root was
\\webserver\www.company.com
<file:///\\webserver\www.company.com%20and%20you%20added%20test.jsp>  and
you added test.jsp to that web app.  What entry would you make in your
web.xml file?

Thanks in advance.

RE: New User Web.xml question

Posted by "Filip Hanik (lists)" <de...@hanik.com>.
JSP do not need any entries in web.xml caused they are simply mapped by
filename
Servlets need an entry so that you can map the servlet class to a URL
pattern
Filip

[...]

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.