Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Zohreh and Anthony Romano <ro...@attbi.com> on 2002/08/24 15:01:38 UTC

Newbie - URL rewriting question(i think)

Hello,

trying to accomplish something more than likely beyond my current
understanding of Apache, but here it goes any way....

Setup for discussion:
server: www.test-server.com
Doc root: /home/httpd/htdocs
userdir: /home/joes_dir/public_html

directory structure of web site:
~joesdir/www_joe
......../www_joe/cgi-bin
......../www_joe/data
......../www_joe/html
......../www_joe/images

Here is what I would like to do.  For starters I have checked online sources
for this but they seem to not cover this topic as well as I like.

The basic idea is that a user logs in, but not by way of apache auth, just a
simple form that checks against a db. creates a cookie with a md5 checksum.

The /data directory holds some files. These files I would like to make
accessible, but I would like to hide/restrict it as best as possible.  So
that only access from a url that I provide can gain access.

My thoughts were that I could use the md5 in the cookie and rewrite the url
somehow to include the md5, then have a small perl app in the /data dir that
is an external map, that validates access somehow.

But, once again, I am not sure if this is possible.  In general here is the
url I would like to generate:

http://www.test-server.com/AAIBQugDAABBZzbtJQGAwARub3JtUAUAAABSsQMAAFEKAAAAU
kCJhL/path/to/file

I have seen some sites have this type of url. And I would like to implement
it.  I know perl, and can work my way around Apache to an extent.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Newbie - URL rewriting question(i think)

Posted by Zohreh and Anthony Romano <ro...@attbi.com>.
Thanks. I will checkout these links.

> Here is what I would like to do.  For starters I have checked online
sources
> for this but they seem to not cover this topic as well as I like.
>
> The basic idea is that a user logs in, but not by way of apache auth, just
> simple form that checks against a db. creates a cookie with a md5
checksum.

Here are some links that may help:
http://www.perldoc.com/cpan/Apache/AuthCookie.html
http://sec.ure.org/apache_auth.shtml
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/CodeDoc/Apache-AuthCookieDBI/AuthCookieDBI.
html

Hopefully you have mod_perl

> The /data directory holds some files. These files I would like to make
> accessible, but I would like to hide/restrict it as best as possible.  So
> that only access from a url that I provide can gain access.

Watch you permissions

Re: Newbie - URL rewriting question(i think)

Posted by Jim Kipp <jk...@comcast.net>.