Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Colin Freas <co...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/21 18:39:58 UTC

Master as DataNode

setting up a simple hadoop cluster with two machines, i've gotten to the
point where the two machines can see each other, things seem fine, but i'm
trying to set up the master as both a master and a slave, just for testing
purposes.

so, i've put the master into the conf/masters file and the conf/slaves file.

things seem to work, but there's no DataNode process listed with jps on the
master.  i'm wondering if there's a switch i need to flip to tell hadoop to
use the master as a datanode even if it's in the slaves file?

thanks again.

-colin

RE: Master as DataNode

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com>.
I don't know the deep answer, but formatting your dfs creates a new
namespaceId that needs to be consistent across all slaves. Any data
directories containing old version ids will prevent the DataNode from
starting on that node. Maybe somebody who really knows the machinery can
elaborate to this.

Glad you are flying now,
Jeff

Re: Master as DataNode