Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by upendar devu <de...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/11 23:06:36 UTC

Rolling restart zookeeper

We have 3 aws instances of Kafka n zookeeper each of them.can we do rolling
restart of zookeeper one instance at a time. Are there any impacts doing
this? Please let me know.
Thanks

Re: Rolling restart zookeeper

Posted by upendar devu <de...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for detailed answer.i will follow the same.

On Jul 12, 2017 10:37 AM, "Washko, Daniel" <dw...@gannett.com> wrote:

This is what I would recommend. Identify the leader and restart that one
last. Zookeeper should be able to remain functional and server requests
during the restart of a single node. Of course you always take a risk if
that node does not come back for some reason and then you will be left with
and ensemble that cannot achieve quorum. After each restart verify the
state of the node.

echo stat | nc IP_ADDRESS_OF_NODE 2181

Will provide that information – Whether it is the leader or follower.

We run zookeeper with Solr and do not see an impact with rolling restarts
of zookeeper.

The only time I see problems is if we are adding new nodes to a live system
or there are problems with your ensemble. If for some reason there is a
zookeeper node that is not in sync with the others and that node becomes
the leader, there is a potential for the data stored in zookeeper to be
incomplete or wiped out.

Daniel S Washko
Solutions Architect

dwashko@gannett.com <http://www.gannett.com/>