Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ian Brockbank <Ia...@wolfsonmicro.com> on 2004/10/25 16:22:11 UTC

RE: Externals clutter "svn status" output

Hi Michael,

> Actually, I've been meaning to bang out support for --no-externals in
> all the subcommands that "do something" with externals.  Passing this
> flag to status, update, checkout, commit, etc. would prevent externals
> processing from happening.  I wonder if I remembered to file an issue
> for this...?

That would be great.  Er, which commands actually do something with
externals?  In my experience, just checkout, update and switch.  In
particular commit and diff do not (which frequently catches us out
here...).

We'd like to see all recursive commands recursing through externals by
default, if that's possible.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Applications Software Team Leader
e: ian.brockbank@wolfsonmicro.com / apps@wolfsonmicro.com
scd: ian@scottishdance.net
t: +44 131 272 7145
f: +44 131 272 7001

Re: Externals clutter "svn status" output

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Ian Brockbank" <Ia...@wolfsonmicro.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > Actually, I've been meaning to bang out support for --no-externals in
> > all the subcommands that "do something" with externals.  Passing this
> > flag to status, update, checkout, commit, etc. would prevent externals
> > processing from happening.  I wonder if I remembered to file an issue
> > for this...?
>
> That would be great.  Er, which commands actually do something with
> externals?  In my experience, just checkout, update and switch.  In
> particular commit and diff do not (which frequently catches us out
> here...).

I think commit does, in that if you change the value of the externals
property, Subversion will update the external working copy.  Though,
no, it won't actually recurse in and perform a commit from that
working copy.