Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Craig Laverty <dl...@bigpond.net.au> on 2001/09/15 11:02:28 UTC

How do you setup a HTML portlet to prompt for username and password?

Hello,

Is there anyway to prompt a user for their username and password before
showing the contents of an HTML  portlet?  The funny thing is I had this
working when I initially secured the html, then when I came back to it about
an hour later the portlets disapeared.  Is this because of the jetspeed
caching mechanism?  If so, is there a way to disable caching for specific
portlets.  I have searched the current user mailing list and was unable to
find any information, but noticed it didn't go back too far, so sorry if
this one has been answered before.

   <portlet-entry name="Directory_FileServerPortlet" hidden="false"
type="ref" parent="HTML" application="false">
         <title>MyPortlet.htm</title>
         <description>Using the FileServerPortlet</description>
      <url>http://www.somedomain.com/MyPortlet.htm</url>
   </portlet-entry>

I looked through the log file and I couldn't find any errors.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Craig.

Re: How do you setup a HTML portlet to prompt for username and password?

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Craig,
Their is a JSP portlet that allows you to use java.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Craig,
I am not aware of a way to pass anything other then the URL to the web
server for a WebPagePortlet.  You may be able to embed the username and
password in the URL.  The HTML Portlet should be used for local files
only.  Also it is Jetspeed that is getting the web page from the server,
not the user. Thus any Username and Password information would be common
to all Jetspeed users, or more correctly all users using that portlet.

As to why it worked in once, I do not know.

For a description on caching in Jetspeed see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/diskcache.html

Paul Spencer