Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/06 11:33:40 UTC

[Trinidad] "Best" Javascript package to use in a new render kit

Hi folks,
following the thread "Concerns about the future of Trinidad" I would like to
know the opinions about the "best' Javascript package to use as a base to a
new Trinidad render kit.

JQuery <http://jquery.org/>

Dojo Toolkit <http://dojotoolkit.org/>

(another options ?)

What do you think ? what about the licensing ?

Thanks,

Walter Mourão
http://waltermourao.com.br
http://arcadian.com.br
http://oriens.com.br

Re: [Trinidad] "Best" Javascript package to use in a new render kit

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jquery has a good query engine and a lousy widget API, but due to its
popularity despite its deficiencies people have programmed a load of
widgets. I am not sure but I think primefaces recycles a lot of the
jquery infrastructure.
The personal problem i have with jquery simply is, it scales really well
if you need to add some stuff to an existing webpage but rolling bigger
javascript stuff will get you into a huge mess. It does not even support
inheritance out of the box, just basic mixins. Everything else is tacked
on top of it. Widgets also seem to be an afterthought api wise although
there is a bazillion of them in variying quality.

Dojo is more like a huge classlib, also has a very good query engine and
a set of widgets, but putting the dojo components to use in an existing
jsf lib is a huge task. Some people already have done it
www.dojofaces.org for instance.

Also dojo has its fair share of own infrastructure and marrying some
parts of that with jsf can be quite a task.
Also if you dont buy a book getting the hang of it can be quite a task
and the community is and always has been somewhat smaller. Additionally
to that it carries around a load of legacy code due to its age, not
really needed anymore in modern browsers.

Outside of that one serious contender definitely is YUI which irks me to
have the best overall code quality of the three big ones. But I have not
done anything with it.

And probably a few new ones I am not aware of.

Here is a short checklist of what you have to check out
a) Is a proper renamespacing possible, which means you have to roll your
own namespace so that applications which also integrated the same libary
and widget set into the program do not collide with your corelib.

b) Is it fast and can it scale from mobile space up to html5?

c) How big is the community behind it, the library can be mediocre but
if it has a big enough following you still will get usable recycleable
results

d) does it have a good set of widgets which are easy to use and try to
constrain themselves to their domain

e) If you need it does it provided the needed language infrastructure
like inheritance etc...
The functional approach some modern libs follow scales well for queries
and results but becomes problematic once you go into the control domain.
Ideally mixing both gives the best results.

f) How far does the libary scale down

g) How are the license compatibilities, for instance LGPL is a no go,
BSDish licenses are ok

In the end there will be no ideal library but it also would not make
sense for a component set to start from scratch given all the code there is.

Werner

Posted by Cédric Durmont <cd...@gmail.com>.
jquery is my savior in this area. My autosuggest component also
features DnD, plus I've made a range slider and a message panel a la
Toast, all using jquery plugins. I'm also running a highly enhanced
version of Tomahawk's schedule component, with PPR, context menus,
drag'n'drop and such.
Trinidad is a nice and solid library, sometime I just wish it had more
of those fancy components and options you can see on some other libs.
jquery helps a lot, but I'd love to see some enhancements so standard
components (say, automatic filters on tr:table / tr:column...)

Regards,
Cedric

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Cedric,

Posted by Cédric Durmont <cd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Walter,

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

So, which one is the next step?

Leonardo

Re: [Trinidad] "Best" Javascript package to use in a new render kit

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

>>> http://arcadian.com.br

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, now I understand...

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leonardo,

I'm not sure I've got the idea... do you think the javascript documentation
is THE big problem ? I really don't have an opinion because I didn't go
deeper in Trinidad javascript code.

In your opinion the best solution is just continue improving the current
Trinidad client code ? As I stated before, my desire (so far) is the
combination of Trinidad with a good javascript UI package, this way we could
count with another community focused in the client side code.

Cheers,

Walter Mourão
http://waltermourao.com.br
http://arcadian.com.br
http://oriens.com.br

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

+1

That's good news. I'm interested. In the medium/long term we'll have more
javascript stuff in myfaces projects that needs to be documented, and this
could be a very valuable contribution.

regards,

Leonardo

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi, we are very interested, btw. we probably have to read our own parts
for the inheritance stuff, because we use inheritance, delegation
and singletons as structural core patterns ourselves in the core.
So if the tool needs meta information in this regard we will have to
readd our own implementation stuff here.

Oh well I guess this is the krux of using a dynamic lanugage which does
not have inheritance and namespaces baked into the core itself.

I guess for every framework used all this information on how to deal
with it must be added and hence tools like jsdoc simply fail on more
complicated cases or frameworks which do not belong to the more popular
ones.

Werner

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

>>> http://arcadian.com.br

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Walter,

>>> http://arcadian.com.br

AW: [Trinidad] "Best" Javascript package to use in a new render kit

Posted by Eisenträger, Tobias <To...@arag.de>.
I have created a few components based on jquery and it seems to work pretty good. However - somehow including the libraries somewhere in the core, and not in the template would be good.

Posted by Walter Mourão <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Dominik.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
I do have another suggestion as well.  As your looking at these
frameworks and/or UI pieces, keep an eye to HTML5.  A lot of
Trinidad's DOM structure was in place to support CSS3/HTML5 type
effects on CSS2/HTML browsers.  Since most browsers are getting an
upgrade (even IE) we can gain a lot by making HTML5/CSS3 part  of the
initial design.

Scott

Posted by Dominik Dorn <do...@dominikdorn.com>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
For licensing, you can always make a project under the Apache License
which consumes other projects as a requirement (but does not actually
include them).  As for whether either of these could be 'included' in
the project, I don't see any real issue there with the exception that
neither is under the ASL.  So we'd probably have to escalate this to
legal to see what notice's and such would have to be added to the
project.

Probably the best thing to do is figure out which one people want and
we can come up with a strategy for using it.

Scott