Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ignacio Ocampo <na...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/03 19:56:56 UTC

Why and when is expected to remove basic network support?

Hi all,

From a discussion about "Why CloudStack 5" I saw there are plans to remove
basic network support.

I'm still running a proof of concept with CloudStack using Basic network,
and I would like to know more about the why and when :)

This in order make better and informed decisions on the setup of my
environment to comply with the future roadmap of the project.

Also, if you could share technical details about pros and cons of basic vs
advanced networking based in your experience, will be great.

Thanks!

--
Ignacio Ocampo

Re: Why and when is expected to remove basic network support?

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
No, you don't. Only vlan support may be required, but depends on chosen
model.

Re: Why and when is expected to remove basic network support?

Posted by Ignacio Ocampo <na...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ivan, another question, Do I need to use additional / specialized
hardware for networking (Routers & Switches) to use Advance Networking?

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ignacio,

This is mostly a discussion and 5.0 is speculation at this stage, it's highly possible we may not want a 5.0 that would break APIs for users along with other integrations with CloudStack.

No work has begun (at least opensource yet) on refactoring the zone and network models yet, and we're yet to see a proposal and FS in this regard.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com