Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/11/18 04:39:26 UTC

CURRENT direction for James :-)

While on the subject of direction, what do we want to do before cutting the
next major release?

  - Do we want to take the current code as-is?
  - Do we want to take the current code + latest Avalon,
    which means pulling in Component->Service changes?
  - Do we want to do additional refactoring of james-config.xml?
  - Do we want to wait for the DSN code?
  - Do we want to wait for user attributes (Jason?)
  - Do we have any other outstanding patches pending?
  - Do we want to ... ?

As a reminder, this is what we've done so far on the codebase since the last
major release: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2/Plans.

	--- Noel

Re: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by Soeren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 04:39, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> While on the subject of direction, what do we want to do before cutting the
> next major release?
>
>   - Do we want to take the current code as-is?
>   - Do we want to take the current code + latest Avalon,
>     which means pulling in Component->Service changes?

I would like this, but I'm not alone ;-)

>   - Do we want to do additional refactoring of james-config.xml?
Don't care.

>   - Do we want to wait for the DSN code?
I would like to wait for that.
I will go so far as to (Listen up Andreas) offer to take whatever code Andreas
has right now and brushing it up.

If that is not an option at least we could make the
push-message-back-on-a-processor-in-spool change to remotedelivery.
Which will provide for the DSN mailet code to be downloaded from the
contributed mailets site, when Andreas has finished it.

>   - Do we want to wait for user attributes (Jason?)
Don't care.

>   - Do we have any other outstanding patches pending?
Do not know, but I am submitting a BUG in a few hours and hopefully a patch
early next week.

>   - Do we want to ... ?
>
> As a reminder, this is what we've done so far on the codebase since the
> last major release:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2/Plans.
>
> 	--- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S	Fax:	+45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12		Direct:	+45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj		Email:	soren.hilmer@tietoenator.com

RE: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Why not wait for IMAP support while we're at it.

Because it would take too long.  From what Jason just said about it taking a
few months before he has a chance to work on user attributes, I would not
want to wait for those, either, unless someone else has time to do them.

Most, if not all, of the other changes on the list are known commodities
that just mean shoving existing bits around.

Posted by Edward Flick <ed...@cdf-imaging.com>.

Re: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>While on the subject of direction, what do we want to do before cutting the
>next major release?
>
>  - Do we want to take the current code as-is?
>  - Do we want to take the current code + latest Avalon,
>    which means pulling in Component->Service changes?

+1 (please)

Steve.

>  - Do we want to do additional refactoring of james-config.xml?
>  - Do we want to wait for the DSN code?
>  - Do we want to wait for user attributes (Jason?)
>  - Do we have any other outstanding patches pending?
>  - Do we want to ... ?
>
>As a reminder, this is what we've done so far on the codebase since the last
>major release: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2/Plans.
>
>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.

+1

Knowing the release time, I would see if I could (as promised to Noel) get the anti-spam bayesian mailet done by then (it's working since a long time, but some finalization is needed like modifications to sqlResources.xml or even better serializing to a file for performance).

Vincenzo

Re: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: CURRENT direction for James :-)

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Hi Darrell
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I'm a bit stretched at the moment...

The IMAP implementation using your IMAP2 proposal is the one I'm working
from as it seems to be the most complete and it has lots of nice tests.

I need to do the following:
Add attributes to the User object(s). I have done the file:
implementation as this is trivial. I am in the process of doing the db:
implementation now.
 - Once this is done I will have somewhere to store all the required
mailbox names etc.
The rest should hopefully fall into place as I can use username.mboxname
when I store data in a user repository.
I will then be in a position to mod the IMAP code to persist the data
properly. I'm fairly sure I know what needs to be done in the Imap code
to make this work.

The IMAP tests you provide will be critical in anything I do here, so
the more tests the better :)

-- Jason

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I can't remember the outcome of a recent conversation about what
> happens to V3
>  Will the current head become a branch?
>  Will the branch_2_1_fcs become the head?

As I understand the concept, the desired changes from MAIN will be merged
into branch_2_1_fcs.  Then MAIN will be pushed off as a branch (or we can
just tag it as PRE_2_2_MERGE), and somehow branch_2_1_fcs will be merged
back as MAIN.  How that happens?  Uh ... Serge?  Danny?  CVS mavens?  :-)

> I would assume that next release will be 2.3 and include the latest
> Avalon as well.

Seems that everyone wants the Avalon changes merged.  OK.

> I hope to complete the user attribute work in the next 2 months
> (work and home pressures allowing)

I don't think that we want to wait that long before making the next Release.

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.